• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Growing Sweet Potatoes For the Home Victory Garden

Growing sweet potato slips above the dishwasher. The aluminum trays are on a seedling heat mat. A few weeks back, I collected 63 cuttings that were rooted and planted last weekend in peat pots. 51 more cuttings were collected from this viny mess below. My goal is 250 potted and rooted slips. If the soil warms well enough in the garden, I hope to get everything planted by mid-April. This is the fourth year of growing slips.

2024 Sweet Potato Slip Cultivation.jpg

I prefer to root the cuttings then plant them in peat pots before planting in the garden. Less transplanting losses this way. Sorry for the lighting- it's 3000K.

Sweet Potato Slips Planted in Peat Pots.jpg

How far apart are y'all spacing these Vardaman "bush" variety sweet potato plants?
Most plant them about a foot apart. I plant mine about ten inches apart. If you bought slips (long cuttings from the grower), you may want to put them in a jar of water to grow some roots before planting them.

Most plant them about a foot apart. I plant mine about ten inches apart. If you bought slips (long cuttings from the grower), you may want to put them in a jar of water to grow some roots before planting them.
Awesome, thanks! I was thinking a foot apart but thought it may have been too close but wantedto be sure.

Back
Top Bottom