Gun Case Recommendations Needed

Pelican is the go-to, but I've also been impressed with Nanuk.

If you can, putting the gun case inside a suitcase or other checked bag is ideal. That way you can lock the gun case with a non-TSA lock and put the declaration form in one of those clear 'fed-ex' envelopes on the outside. I usually just use a big rubber band, but you can tape it on as well.

That way they only have to deal with the TSA lock on your suitcase and will see the declaration before cutting the good locks you have on your case.

Not a problem with a good case, but if you use a plastic case, you may need a lock at each corner. Again, the gun case itself CANNOT (by law) use a TSA lock.

BTW, are you aware that you can legally ship a gun to yourself 'in care of'? It doesn't have to go to an FFL or anything, although I don't know how it would be handled in a state like CA where you have to register everything.

Pelican is the go-to, but I've also been impressed with Nanuk.

If you can, putting the gun case inside a suitcase or other checked bag is ideal. That way you can lock the gun case with a non-TSA lock and put the declaration form in one of those clear 'fed-ex' envelopes on the outside. I usually just use a big rubber band, but you can tape it on as well.

That way they only have to deal with the TSA lock on your suitcase and will see the declaration before cutting the good locks you have on your case.

Not a problem with a good case, but if you use a plastic case, you may need a lock at each corner. Again, the gun case itself CANNOT (by law) use a TSA lock.

BTW, are you aware that you can legally ship a gun to yourself 'in care of'? It doesn't have to go to an FFL or anything, although I don't know how it would be handled in a state like CA where you have to register everything.

Self shipping will cost a whole lot more than sucking up the airline bag fee. Not worth the hassles involved at this point. Believe me, it was a consideration.

Also, the rules/regulations have changed. You can, although there is no good reason to do so, now use a 'TSA' lock on a gun case. It isn't required (also a very stupid idea) but it is allowed. Haven't been able to find a reason for the change from TSA, but have a few suspicions. I'm putting Master Locks on my case(s).

From what I understood the requirement that you be the only person capable of opening the gun case was law, not regulation.

Not that an non-TSA lock will stop the TSA, they would just cut them. That's why it's important that the declaration be outside the gun case, but inside the suitcase.

Take a picture of that before they seal the suitcase and send it into the baggage system. That way they can't argue that they saw a gun in secondary screening and had to cut your locks, although you may want to pack a spare set of locks anyway.

I also found that while you get processed a lot faster (for Delta you go through the VIP line to declare), you need to leave at least an extra 60 minutes to be safe. I was called back from my gate once and had to redo the entire security hassle because some TSA nimrod didn't know the rules.

And if you are bringing your own ammo, be careful of excess weight fees. They are a killer.

Back
Top Bottom