• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

gun laws across the country?

On a slightly separate note, this is where it's vitally important IMHO that as many people join their local state gun groups as well as the national groups out there as they are on the "front lines" battling the lunacy from these absurd attacks on our 2nd Ammendment rights. Just say'n!

In CA, your pistol must be unloaded and locked in a container during transport. Your trunk counts as a locked container if not readily accessible from the passenger cabin. Glove box and console are NO GO and considered part of the passenger compartment. Also remember that you cannot bring magazines with greater than 10 round capacity into the state.
I am not a lawyer and this obviously isn't legal advice, this is just my understanding having lived in CA for several years.

I defer to tripestack3 on Calif. law, but what he says it is is also the substance of a federal law that allows you to transport a gun across state lines. In the trunk, unloaded.

As long as you can legally possess the gun in the state in which you began, and the state in which you end up, you are good to go if you meet these conditions.

Point being that if you meet these requirements you can transport a gun through any state (or city within a state).

Family in Calif. advises me that the authorities are real serious about the 10 round magazine limitation, because they have solved all the other problems in the state and can focus on this.

If you come through Wyoming, you are welcome to carry open, being a non-resident. You may also have it in your vehicle open or Concealed. You do not have to inform the officer if you make contact. Good idea to get a CCW, though.

Sent from my 1911-A1

I'm planning on taking a road trip across the country with my girlfriend in the fall and I want to keep something small in the car in case of emergencies, but I'm concerned about the gun laws in each state. I'm considering getting a CCL and have read the list of states that recognize GWLs. We'll be going driving in a pretty much straight line up to Washington, then south to California, then back to Georgia.

My main concern is California. I did some light reading on California gun laws so I bought a lock box to put my handgun in. If I store it with ammunition, is that legal and if I get pulled over and tell the officer I have a gun, are they gonna put me in handcuffs?

I would love some advice about this

I also use an app I loaded on my phone. It's called CCW concealed carry 50 state. Works great. I think I paid $1.99 for it a few years ago. Nice thing is I always have it with me and it stays pretty current.

US vs Miranda is still the law although LEOs do not have to tell you about your Miranda rights anymore. You do not have to answer or tell the officer anything.
That is false. They only have to tell you when you are under arrest. Just as always... but if you watch Hollywood you would get that impression.

There is a travelers guide with an easy-to-understand collection of firearms laws for all 50 states. It`s about $15 and is upgraded annually. You order it online. I keep one in my truck all the time.

That is false. They only have to tell you when you are under arrest. Just as always... but if you watch Hollywood you would get that impression.
see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berghuis_v._Thompkins
True, but you still have the rights even though you are not under arrest as most of us are when initially stopped by the police. You do not have to say a word to any policeman.....for now anyway.

Back
Top Bottom