• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Gun room construction underway!

If they can’t fit down a 7’ room, they’re bed ridden. With a poured concrete and steel rebar reinforced ceiling, you aren't spanning too wide a distance without some serious engineering $$$. Tough crowd in here.
Looks great and is far better than my gun room. Which is a closet.

Basement finishing got started today so the gun room looks to be officially in motion. When we built our house we had them pour a room 7’ x 26’ when they poured the foundation with “special” sized door openings cast in ; ) Wanted to mark this occasion with a before picture. I’ll update as it progresses with certain features omitted for obvious reasons.

***added a pic from the other direction since it seems like some thought the wood brace was a door header.

Any OTD’rs with gun rooms out there care to share so I can draw some inspiration?
When we build our house I’m having this same thing done. Been telling my wife for the last two years how I want it designed like that.

Looks great, 7' is going to get tight by the time you add some insulation/drywall. Maybe carpet as well, otherwise you have an echo chamber.

My first purpose built vault was 8'x12. Counters down both sides left a 3' aisle down the middle. Very tight.

Current one is 18' x 32'.

Lighting is important, added led strip lighting down both long walls, gives ambient lighting to the firearms.

Adequate outlets, ran a CAT 5 cable in for dedicated internet for computer and tv, as the rebared concrete kills wireless from outside.

Water is needed, I have a utility sink for water, washing hands, etc.

Make sure your vault door is an inswing, can't be locked or blocked in.

I have heat and ac in the vault, and an emergency vent that can be deployed if needed.

Two motion activated camera's inside, and one outside the vault that is not visible to the casual observer.

Be glad to discuss items on a sidebar if needed.

Here’s my modest gun room build. Not near as nice or as large as yours but so far has met my needs.

Back
Top Bottom