• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Gunpowder Shelf Life

georgian

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
31   1
Reaction score
All,

My friends at the ODT, please help in clearing the understanding on this misconception or misunderstanding. I have been entertaining the idea of reloading. It was brought to my attention by a friend of a friend that the gunpowder being sold these days is only good for a 3-year shelf life before being unusabe. This was news to me that this was the case and I have been doing my research with no indication that the guberment was mandating that gunpowder providers sell gunpowder that expires in three years. My research has stated that gunpowder has an infinite amount of shelf life based on sealed cans that are not damaged and allowed to be contaminated by humidity or water.

My brothers here at ODT, please provide any concrete information with sources or web cites on this subject as it would be helpful to me and the individual that stated that this was a fact. I was looking at the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) for many smokeless powder and did not find shelf life mentioned. I may have looked over it.

I appreciate it and GOD bless. Hope the atheist are not offended, NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I had heard the same rumor but none of the powder makers have made any public announcement that I'm aware. However in every a rumor a bit of truth often prevails.

I suspect some ass-tard Democrat politician (California, Colorado, Illinois or New York) in the almighty name of "Public Safety" proposed this very suggestion along with smart guns that only allow registered users to fire the weapon, micro-data stamping firing pins, bio-degradable guns and other sci-fi B.S.

if that were true... none of the ammo manufactured 3 years ago would function. Meaning the thousands upon thousands of rounds of 40+ year old mil surp 7.62x54r, 8mm, 303, 7.62x39, 5.45, 7.62x25, etc. that I have shot, woud in fact, not have shot.

Now, everything breaks down over time, the environment in which it is kept being a huge contributing factor. So gun powder stored in a humid and warm environment for 3 years may not perform as well as powder stored in a climate controlled environment. Just plain out not working? Not a chance unless it is saturated with moisture.

Plus... you should never have powder for more than a year. If you do... you simply are not shooting enough! :cool:

Last edited:
Call the powder companies of the powders you want to use. They are the experts not a lot of people on the internet. I have hodgons powder that is 10 years old and there is nothing wrong with it. It has been stored properly. Any powder can break down but not after just 3 years if properly stored. Always smell the powder when you open the can remember the smell. When powder does start to break down it has an acidic smell to it. Give the powder companies a call they will gladly answer your questions. I have called them many times.

Call the powder companies of the powders you want to use. They are the experts not a lot of people on the internet. I have hodgons powder that is 10 years old and there is nothing wrong with it. It has been stored properly. Any powder can break down but not after just 3 years if properly stored. Always smell the powder when you open the can remember the smell. When powder does start to break down it has an acidic smell to it. Give the powder companies a call they will gladly answer your questions. I have called them many times.

call the actual makers of the powders like St.Marks in Tampa. they make most of hodgdons ball powders. there is a manufacturer in canada that makes the old IMR powders and some of hodgdons stick single base. one in australia that makes Varget, Trail Boss and IMR 8208. and several in Europe that make Accurate, Ramshot and VV powders

Back
Top Bottom