• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Gunpowder Shelf Life

My father gave me all of his firearms and accessories (but one) when he turned 80 or so. He had a couple of cans of powder dating back to the early 70's stashed away. Used one with no issues at all and the other burned up on the 4th of July for my step-kid. Stored in a box tossed from closet to closet that had moved 5 times and survived in fine condition. Roughly 36 years or so with no humidity control.

What ever happened to the idea of Taggants?

To stir the pot a bit, how many products, besides Coke, have the same exact recipe from decade to decade? Isn't it plausible that to improve performance, or decrease production costs, a component with a shorter shelf life could have been substituted without a public announcement?

Come to think about it, Coke substituted corn syrup for sugar, didn't they?

What ever happened to the idea of Taggants?

To stir the pot a bit, how many products, besides Coke, have the same exact recipe from decade to decade? Isn't it plausible that to improve performance, or decrease production costs, a component with a shorter shelf life could have been substituted without a public announcement?

Come to think about it, Coke substituted corn syrup for sugar, didn't they?

In the u.s. coke did... That's why me and the wife only drink the coke bottled in Mexico or soda stream coke flavor. Taste so much better/crisper with real sugar over the manufactured corn syrup crap

Guys, don't mistake my question for ignorance or being gullible on my part. I think it's all bull****, but my friend seems to believe that the information he was told by another individual has validity. I opened up a question not for smart a@@ remarks, but to educated individuals like I thought this congregation were, on the subject. If all you have is stupid and ignorant comments in the shape of, "My daddy had some powder from the 1800's that I got and it shot fine", save it. The question was concerning new, within the last couple of years, gunpowder and the shelf life. I'm not interested in you comments on the olden days gunpowder because that's not what I'm buying, you flippin moron.

If you have anything that adds value or helps to clear the air on the subject, please share it, otherwise move on to another post. I also requested the proof be through some form of cited information. Like I stated, I looked over various gunpowder manufacturers MSDS with no indication of shelf life.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys, don't mistake my question for ignorance or being gullible on my part. I think it's all bullsh!!, but my friend seems to believe that the information he was told by another individual has validity. I opened up a question not for smart a@@ remarks, but to educated individuals like I thought this congregation were, on the subject. If all you have is stupid and ignorant comments in the shape of, "My daddy had some powder from the 1800's that I got and it shot fine", save it. The question was concerning new, within the last couple of years, gunpowder and the shelf life. I'm not interested in you comments on the olden days gunpowder because that's not what I'm buying, you flippin moron.

If you have anything that adds value or helps to clear the air on the subject, please share it, otherwise move on to another post. I also requested the proof be through some form of cited information. Like I stated, I looked over various gunpowder manufacturers MSDS with no indication of shelf life.

Thanks for your time.

Calm it down pal. How bout this... I have an 8lb jug of varget that I have been loading from over the past 2 years. My groups have been identical with 43.2 grains in my saiga .308. It has been stored in a climate controlled e environment in the original container.

Oh and if the "flipping moron" was directed at me... Then **** you and good luck, go do your own ****ing research unless you want to cut me a check for my time.

If it was not directed at me... Then I hope my posts were helpful :)

I'm going to let this post die. Because as the flipping moron has stated, I'm not paying any of you, only thought you could offer your GREAT expertise on the subject. Guess I was wrong on that one. By the way, I think I stated I had researched the subject and was not able to find a whole lot of useful information that's why I reached out to this forum. Oh well and sincerely thanks for the information that was provided.

I'm going to let this post die. Because as the flipping moron has stated, I'm not paying any of you, only thought you could offer your GREAT expertise on the subject. Guess I was wrong on that one. By the way, I think I stated I had researched the subject and was not able to find a whole lot of useful information that's why I reached out to this forum. Oh well and sincerely thanks for the information that was provided.

what he really means is hes a new panic buyer and is skeerd his $230 8# jug might go bad cuz it might be 10yrs before he actually uses ANY of it.

glad we could help

Call the powder companies of the powders you want to use. They are the experts not a lot of people on the internet. I have hodgons powder that is 10 years old and there is nothing wrong with it. It has been stored properly. Any powder can break down but not after just 3 years if properly stored. Always smell the powder when you open the can remember the smell. When powder does start to break down it has an acidic smell to it. Give the powder companies a call they will gladly answer your questions. I have called them many times.

IMHO: This is the Very Best advice given to the posting!

Back
Top Bottom