• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Had a good day in Gulf Shores

musket

Default rank <2000 posts
SCV-MOS&B
84   0
Reaction score
The bull red went about 20 lbs and the king went 24.5 lbs. Got both of these on the Gulf State Park Pier.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 135
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 130
We're heading down there this coming weekend. What type of tackle were you using?

I was using a Daiwa Opus Plus A 6000 spooled up with 30lb mono. That was mounted on a Penn 10' medium heavy surf rod. The rig may be a bit over kill but it's what I have. I free lined a live LY hooked in the tail. You can catch all the live LYs you want with a ribbon rig.

If you are going to the pier, go to the end and be careful of anyone with a rented rod and reel or all brand new gear. They don't know how to fish in a crowd and will cross your line every time. Also, watch out for women that cast their bait and start chit-chatting. They are not paying any attention to where their line drifts to of any one around them.

When the redfish moved in, it looked like acres of them, all feeding on top. And, go early...first light. The reds, kings and spanish mackrel started biting before daylight. I got into them a little later.

If you have anymore questions, just ask. I'm no expert, but, I'll answer the best I can. Have a good trip. I've been watching the weather and it looks like Saturday will be your only good day.

Last edited:
30 hour trip!?! That could be brutal.
Never had rough seas when I went, but I guess I got lucky. The crew I normally went with made a trip without me and they called that one "the perfect storm" -- everyone got sick. We have gone before when the weather was so bad that we never left the marina. I'll tell 'ya, there's nothing like waking up in the morning as the sun comes up and nothing but blue water in all directions. Fishing with kites and hoping to catch a big Marlin, or jiggin' at night for blackfin tuna and watchin' the oil rigs blow/burn off the natural gas. Looks kinda like a fire breathing dragon sittin' on top of the oil rig. Those trips were expensive and sadly, because of new creel limits on most species, not worth it anymore.

Back
Top Bottom