• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Have y’all been to Five Guys Inflation and Fries

You guys realize that all this inflation is largely centered in the US, the inflation elsewhere is moderate, even normal. Here in Costa Rica, I can still get a get a gourmet cheeseburger with fries and a drink for $7-10US. Our groceries here are half what they were in the US.
I'm so glad I'm not there anymore. $10 for an over-hyped basic burger? No thank you.

You guys realize that all this inflation is largely centered in the US, the inflation elsewhere is moderate, even normal. Here in Costa Rica, I can still get a get a gourmet cheeseburger with fries and a drink for $7-10US. Our groceries here are half what they were in the US.
I'm so glad I'm not there anymore. $10 for an over-hyped basic burger? No thank you.
Yeah, about that…
A01B90BF-0D9C-45D3-9ED9-D46DDB2F8BAC.jpeg

anyway, we’re going out to dinner with friends tonight. Go ‘til you can’t, right?

Yeah, about that…
View attachment 4841602

anyway, we’re going out to dinner with friends tonight. Go ‘til you can’t, right?

Are you here in CR, or in the US? I've been coming here for 20+ years and live here in CR full time now. I'm telling you first hand, not some internet statistic. I track every penny that comes in and out of my household on a spreadsheet, been doing so for 15 years. I can look back and tell you exactly what I spent in groceries for the month of April 2009. We have not curtailed our manner of food shopping, and yet we see a 40% drop in our monthly food expenses here. We go out to dinner and the most expensive plate we've come across is like $25, and that's outrageous for here. Costs of medical procedures/care is a small fraction of the US. Our Cadillac health insurance policy costs us about $240/year. Like I said, here we are not seeing the obnoxious spikes in prices of goods that the US is seeing in many items and overall prices have been fairly stable. It's not even a conversation topic here, as opposed to the US where just about everyone is complaining about how high the costs of everything have become.

Are you here in CR, or in the US? I've been coming here for 20+ years and live here in CR full time now. I'm telling you first hand, not some internet statistic. I track every penny that comes in and out of my household on a spreadsheet, been doing so for 15 years. I can look back and tell you exactly what I spent in groceries for the month of April 2009. We have not curtailed our manner of food shopping, and yet we see a 40% drop in our monthly food expenses here. We go out to dinner and the most expensive plate we've come across is like $25, and that's outrageous for here. Costs of medical procedures/care is a small fraction of the US. Our Cadillac health insurance policy costs us about $240/year. Like I said, here we are not seeing the obnoxious spikes in prices of goods that the US is seeing in many items and overall prices have been fairly stable. It's not even a conversation topic here, as opposed to the US where just about everyone is complaining about how high the costs of everything have become.

Can you own guns in CR? It's a honest question. I wouldn’t mind retiring some place cheap, and near the coast. My only reason that I might not go overseas, would be gun ownership.

Can you own guns in CR? It's a honest question. I wouldn’t mind retiring some place cheap, and near the coast. My only reason that I might not go overseas, would be gun ownership.
Yes you can, with the proper residency status. Currently, they let you own up to 3. No hunting rifles or any AR/AK platforms though. There is no hunting here in CR, they are nature/animal lovers big-time.

Yes you can, with the proper residency status. Currently, they let you own up to 3. No hunting rifles or any AR/AK platforms though. There is no hunting here in CR, they are nature/animal lovers big-time.

I couldn't care less about hunting, I could live with a Glock and a shotgun, but no AR15 is a big sticking point for me.

Glad you landed in your version of Utopia.
We’ll stick it out here, where we don’t have to learn Spanish (at least since we left Gwinnett County).

My guess is that the dollar to colón ratio is very advantageous these days.

Currently 1 dollar = 622 colón. Just looked it up - dollar is falling against the colón since about June.

CostaRica_20000_colones_back_web-530x231.jpg

Behold, the $32 bill.

Sure is pretty currency!

Back
Top Bottom