• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Have y’all been to Five Guys Inflation and Fries

I ate there some back in the day. Decided to pop in with wife and 4 year old a while back. When we got up to order and started seeing the pricing I was shocked. I was questioning the worker about what all came with the order that cost as much as 10lb of ground beef and and burlap bag full of potatoes. I think I embarrassed my wife, but we went next door to Jersey Mikes and got some subs. Also overpriced, but not astronomical. I’ll never return to Five Guys again.

I mean, you don’t need a sophisticated palette to know a good burger from a ****ty one. But I probably love burgers more than the average person. Anyhow, I think 5 guys has a perception issue more than anything. If it wasn’t a franchise but instead a boutique burger joint, like the many in Atlanta, people probably wouldn’t knock it so much.
You're probably not wrong...but there's another place around me called "Burger21." And they do present themselves as a bougie burger bar. I took my daughter there on a date night one night and for just the two of us, no drinks, and one milkshake, it was almost $50. That's ruh-dee-dang-dong-diculous. I guess it boils down to your perception of burgers in general...and I don't really hold them in high regard.

They stay busy though so they’re doing something right.
The one near me doesn't. I drive past it daily. Never full, not even at lunch rush.

You're probably not wrong...but there's another place around me called "Burger21." And they do present themselves as a bougie burger bar. I took my daughter there on a date night one night and for just the two of us, no drinks, and one milkshake, it was almost $50. That's ruh-dee-dang-dong-diculous. I guess it boils down to your perception of burgers in general...and I don't really hold them in high regard.

The one near me doesn't. I drive past it daily. Never full, not even at lunch rush.

Ha! I used to love Burger 21. But I recall you could get a burger for around $8 + $3 for fries, $5 milkshake or beer. Nothing too terrible and the burgers used to be really good. Then something happened right after COVID and they went downhill fast. Haven't been back since.

Coincidentally, that was my youngest daughter's favorite "date night" spot.:thumb:

Ha! I used to love Burger 21. But I recall you could get a burger for around $8 + $3 for fries, $5 milkshake or beer. Nothing too terrible and the burgers used to be really good. Then something happened right after COVID and they went downhill fast. Haven't been back since.

Coincidentally, that was my youngest daughter's favorite "date night" spot.:thumb:
Then you were eating there before I even knew it existed...which would explain the price differentials. Milkshake was something like $9. My burger and fries were almost 20, her's was still double digits.

I will say, though, their shrimp burger is pretty well worth the money.

So for me, I think that's what it comes down to. I can buy ground round and hammer out a patty and throw it on the Egg myself at home, no problem. So I get all uppity when something is more than I think it should be. But I wouldn't have the first idea what goes into making a shrimp patty. So I'm not as mouthy about it costing $15.

There’s another place called my freezer full of a bunch of ground beef I buy from a friend who feeds them nothing but sweet corn for the last few months of their lives. Makes the best dang burgers. I can buy about 10lb of it for what I’d pay at those places for the wife, son and I. I know where the beef came from and I can make em how I like em. We’ve tried to make dining out a thing of the past.

talk about dining out.....oh hail yeah....it's defiantly a thing of the past.....I son, his wife, and their 3 girls, used to got out to Mexican once a week, maybe some other place once a week as well....not anymore!!! they cannot afford it anymore....I never went out much...BUT I did like Chicago's(Johnson Ferry at Shallowford Rd) for their "prime rib" that's choice...BUT good, now it's $50....maybe more....haven't been there in a while....can't afford it....
When I shop. I'll always run through the meat department to check out the cuts....If I find something that I can/will eat, and it's not too expensive, I'll pick it up.....many times I can cut it into a couple servings, vacuum pack um, then freeze um for later.....I've got a butt load of little filets, I've done that way....getting where 4-5oz is enough for me....I can usually buy those, split um up, and I'm in about $7 +/- each....cheaper than a Five Guys burger....

Back
Top Bottom