• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

He pinned the flash hider on upside down

Saw this video last week. SO. MUCH. FAIL. I couldn't quite tell, but I thought he had the upper upside down in the vice and the flash hider was oriented in the right direction. Even if it is right side up, the video should be titled "how NOT to pin a muzzle device". He didn't weld the pin, didn't know how to use a crush washer, made the pin placement way more complicated than it should have been and I'm not certain that the MD was long enough to make legal length.

Saw this video last week. SO. MUCH. FAIL. I couldn't quite tell, but I thought he had the upper upside down in the vice and the flash hider was oriented in the right direction. Even if it is right side up, the video should be titled "how NOT to pin a muzzle device". He didn't weld the pin, didn't know how to use a crush washer, made the pin placement way more complicated than it should have been and I'm not certain that the MD was long enough to make legal length.
Your right he did have the upper upside down.

He announced that he was thinking of the correct orientation about 1:38 into the video, and at the point he seems to have installed the flash hider upside down, he had flipped over the upper receiver in his vice, so it really was correct. He just didn't tell us that he'd flipped it.
As for his pinning job, that looks illegal, at least for the lack of welding-over the pin. I'm not sure if ATF has any standards on how deep the pin is supposed to engage the steel of the barrel, but his pin looked short with little engagement. I think a vise-grip or channel-lock pliers could just unscrew this muzzle accessory with brute force.

He announced that he was thinking of the correct orientation about 1:38 into the video, and at the point he seems to have installed the flash hider upside down, he had flipped over the upper receiver in his vice, so it really was correct. He just didn't tell us that he'd flipped it.
As for his pinning job, that looks illegal, at least for the lack of welding-over the pin. I'm not sure if ATF has any standards on how deep the pin is supposed to engage the steel of the barrel, but his pin looked short with little engagement. I think a vise-grip or channel-lock pliers could just unscrew this muzzle accessory with brute force.
No doubt about it.

Back
Top Bottom