• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hear me out... .410 Wildcat

Jblue

Default rank <5000 posts
ODT Junkie!
159   1
Reaction score
Now I know NOTHING about reloading. Nothing. However, what's to stop someone from taking a .410 and downsizing the shell to something like, I don't know uhhhh. a .45LC? (after crimp of course); dropping the powder load accordingly and slapping a rifled slug/000 in there? Does this make sense? Think of those "12g mini slugs". I was pricing 45lc and thought....there must be a better way.

Not sure what you are trying to do, but you can handload 45lc rounds very cheap. "pricing 45lc" sounds like you were looking at factory ammo.
You can buy used brass, primers & dies for what you can get 2 boxes of ammo for. Bullets are cheap...
Yeah, pricing factory. Even low qual stuff is bookoo expensive.
How much does it run to get started into reloading? Is it legal to buy reloads from folks?

It can get expensive if you're starting. You have to have a license to sell reloads from my understanding. Midway has starter kits but you'll still have to shoot a lot to justify the cost.

https://www.amazon.com/Lee-Reloadin...d=1519855202&sr=8-1&keywords=lee+bullet+press

This, a set of carbide dies, a priming tool, and some powder scoops are the bare minimum tools. Should be well under 150 bucks to start.

Go for target and mid loads, stay away from max load data, and you will be fine.

I have used the above press for 35 years, it does up to 30-06 no problem. Straight wall pistol cases are easy to do. I got rid of 2 much more expensive presses because I never used them.

You will need bullets, primers, and powder. Hazmat fees run prices up on primers and powder.

If you do not shoot 2,000+ rounds a year, it is cheaper to buy loaded ammo.

You can probably find a friend to help you reload them.

Just keep saving your brass.

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/45-long-colt-ammo-c-72.aspx

Very good advice! Especially if you are considering getting into reloading. Going through the process with a knowledgeable person will tell you a lot about the process and give you experience that will enable you to decide whether you want to invest in the necessary equipment and time involved with reloading.

BTW: Most people do not save money by reloading; the savings are lost because they tend to shoot more!

Good Luck, and Best Wishes!

Reloading, is not a money savings hobby, you got to really have the passion, devote time, establish a dedicated area, for the reloading equipment, the dies, the cleaning equipment, the trimming area, area for your brass, shot shells, wads, powder, primers.

Loading manuals and you will need several as different companies will have important information that you will pick up on it, personal notes on your loads, and of course the final stocking area for your finished product your reloads.

Remember, never load when you are tired, or when you normally spend family time, or during short times between activities with your family, appointments, etc.,. Plan your loading when you have 4-6 hours blocked out for your loading.

You will invest time, money and lots of it, there are always some items, products, presses, and supplies...

so good luck with your new found hobby, that will keep you busy for the rest of your life, we have been loading for 45+ years, and you never , never, have everything you need, as you will see...

Yeah, pricing factory. Even low qual stuff is bookoo expensive.
How much does it run to get started into reloading? Is it legal to buy reloads from folks?

depends on really how much you want to spend to get started.
I would guess that you can get started for about 400 bucks for most things that you will need.
but then again you could spend a grand or more for a top notch progressive with Carbide dies.
I would suggest that you get with someone that reload and see the process and time involved, and go from there.
I don't load the 45 LC but I do the 45 acp, 10 MM and I would guess that you (or I) could reload 45 LC at about 10 bucks per box of 50 for some pretty serious decent loads of target type ammo.
I would highly suggest that IF you buy reloads then make sure they are from a commercial reloader.
Personally I ain't shooting anyones reloads that I am not willing to also wear their under wear.

Back
Top Bottom