• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hearing dripping noises in our new house. How to find the leak?

I have made a half dozen payments on our new (to us) new home. This evening, all my things to do didn’t get done because family members heard water dripping.

Long story short. Yeah I can hear something. I don’t know if it’s inside a wall or condensation inside a duct. I can’t see any signs of water or water damage.

When I worked for the airlines we borrowed a ‘sniffer’ directional acoustic microphone with headsets and this would pinpoint pressure leaks even in high noise environments. I googled it and apparently they also do leak detection with infrared cameras and thermal imaging.

Any clues as to how to find someone to help make this problem go away?
Where is your HVAC unit located in conjunction with the drip? A lot of times the drain gets clogged and it will overflow without a cut off switch.

On my second house with all copper pipes... each one over 20 years and not one problem. But copper pipes aren't what they used to be, either. You gotta watch out for that cheap thin-walled stuff....
I install acid neutralizer filters where the well water is acidic.

The house has a well pump. No idea how to turn off the supply
As a last resort you can kill the power to the well, thereby killing the water too. But there should be a valve where the water enters the building. if not there, at the well pressure tank.

More than likely the noise is caused by the pipes (especially hot lines) expanding and contracting, causing them to move just enough to make a ticking noise that sounds like a leak.

Back
Top Bottom