• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Help - Fail to fire

RSBrown

Default rank <200 posts Supporter
Hunter
5   0
Reaction score
So just when I was feeling good about my reloading adventure, I had something happen Saturday that has me scratching my head. When I started earlier this year and didn't know that 6.5 CM came in large and small rifle primers so ended up with both types of Lapua brass. My first loads were with the LRP and have had really good hunting success with them and IMR4350 so I stuck with that formula, but that left me with 200 Lapua SRP brass, so I loaded up some 130gr Bergers over Varget just to use up my stock, and used Wolf SRP magnum primers.

Saturday went to sight in my new Delta 5 and I had three fail to fires, clear and honestly good looking primer strike on all three and no "boom". Finished sighting in with other bullets and loads, but are Wolf SRP magnums problematic? Now thinking I need to pull 47 rounds, carefully decap live primers - any thoughts or recommendations?

Before you do that I would load ten or so with Cci primers and see if they all fire. The experience I have had with wolf has been pretty good but not as good as with Cci.

Some guns just do not smack the primer hard enough. My Ruger American won’t function with Fiochhi Primers—too hard a primer.

Quick update, and all good cautions on depriming, I haven't decided yet if I am going to try or not.

I did pull all the bullets yesterday because I am cheap and Berger's are expensive, but good pills. One additional weird note, I pulled the three "fired" rounds first and the powder didn't pour out into my pan, it was caked in the brass and I had to use a bodkin to get it out. The unfired rounds, the powder just poured out loose and went back into the container. Does this help diagnose my problem?

Been reloading less than a year, have had some good success (deer), but it's always a new challenge apparently. Thanks for all the replies / help

Back
Top Bottom