• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Help me identify this rifle.......

Cudruln

Default rank <1500 posts
ODT Junkie!
125   0
Reaction score
I don't remember much of anything my grandfather told me about this old thing. But I have had it for some years now (since he died in 94) and am looking to make it a good show piece. Any information would be great. Also I already looked over it and couldn't find any markings on it to help me out.
img.tapatalk.com_d_14_09_16_vy7u2e8e.jpg
img.tapatalk.com_d_14_09_16_zaruhyba.jpg
img.tapatalk.com_d_14_09_16_u4epepyr.jpg
img.tapatalk.com_d_14_09_16_byqe4yry.jpg

It doesn't look like a Mauser to me.

** ACTUALLY** it does look like a Jap Arisaka type 38 stock. The contour is right, off-hand groove is exactly where it should be, it's got that notch by the front of the bolt area...

See this page with all sorts of info and pictures on the Type 38 Japanese rifle.

http://milpas.cc/rifles/ZFiles/Bolt...ra Arsenal Type 38/Kokura Arsenal Type 38.htm
This one in the OP seems to be missing both the dust cover and the firing pin cover/ knob on the back of the bolt.

Last edited:
It doesn't look like a Mauser to me.

As for a Jap rifle,the action and bolt doesn't look like an Arisaka. They had a big round knob at the back of the bolt, and either a dust cover over the receiver or at least slots to let such a cover be slid in place.
Maybe the pic isn't showing the slots or grooves for attaching the cover?

A Jap type 99 would have a big screw or bolt attaching the stock to the action on the right side of the stock a few inches forward of the magazine. I don't see that here with this gun.

** ACTUALLY** it does look like a Jap Arisaka type 38 stock. The contour is right, off-hand groove is exactly where it should be, it's got that notch by the front of the bolt area...

Its missing the Firing pin spring cover that is why it looks weird.
But it looks to be type 99 like the one I have pictured (mine is a type 99) but this one seems to be in a last ditch stock.

Last edited:
I think the last ditch rifles had fixed rear sights instead of adjustable.

OP, you mention making it a "show piece".

Please realize if you refinish the stock, reblue the metal, etc you ruin the value of the rifle. Maybe a light coat of oil on the metal parts but wouldn't do anything more than that.

Of course, it is yours and do with it what you like. Just understand you ruin the historical value when refinishing.

Thanks for posting! Love these old rifles. Real pieces of history (if that gun could only talk...). Of course I don't understand Japanese so...

Back
Top Bottom