• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Help me learn to use my new tractor

rlmblm21

Default rank <1250 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
13   0
Reaction score
We bought a new, small tractor a while back that has a front end loader and a small back hoe. My husband knows how to use these, and I went with him to the dealership to "test drive" it, but now it sits in the driveway while my husband spends weekends 162 miles away on our property in TN. I'm ready to do some yardwork, but want to feel a little more comfortable with this tractor.

Has anyone ever been in this position, and how did you learn how to use the implements? I'm really not the kind that just gets on it and plays with it until I figure it out. Is youtube the best place? Or is there a forum that caters to learning how to use farm equipment?

First, just learn to operate the basic driving functions of the tractor. If you have a BIG open space, then go there. Try out the different ranges and speeds. After you feel comfortable with driving, then start moving knobs and levers. Just see what they all do.......while sitting still. Once you are Ok with the functions, then "go to town." Start digging and scooping. Start of slow. You can't really mess up too bad, as long as you don't try it in a confined space. Take your time and good luck.

Also, reading the manual and watching Youtube helps.

BTW, what kind of tractor? Tell me it's GREEN....LOL

First, just learn to operate the basic driving functions of the tractor. If you have a BIG open space, then go there. Try out the different ranges and speeds. After you feel comfortable with driving, then start moving knobs and levers. Just see what they all do.......while sitting still. Once you are Ok with the functions, then "go to town." Start digging and scooping. Start of slow. You can't really mess up too bad, as long as you don't try it in a confined space. Take your time and good luck.

This is sound advice but if you're apprehensive you may need some coaching from a seasoned operator. Even small machines can be down right dangerous. Good for you for wanting to learn. My wife's never even mowed the grass.

Can the controls be inverted?

I know some people prefer a back or down movement in the controls to be up.

Thanks. I did end up watching some youtube videos. I ended up not getting on it this weekend. He was in the country all weekend, but will be here this weekend, and I decided I did need some coaching as Boogerhook Boogerhook suggested too.

And, sorry to disappoint, but it's ORANGE! BX25 is the small one that we brought back down here. We left the larger one on the property (I think it's around 70HP). The BX25 has both a backhoe and a front loader, as well as a belly mower, so I am looking forward to learning it all.

That's a nice little tractor. Wouldn't mind having something like that around my place. And, Kubota would be my second choice. That's great that you want to learn to operate the machines. My wife knows how to run our 63HP John Deere, which is very helpful sometimes. However, she leaves the implement work to me. She has her own big green lawnmower, and maintains three acres of grass with it.:)

Solid advice. You will be zooming around, pulling stumps and digging holes before you know it.

Only thing I would add is be careful on the hills! i mow some pretty steep hills that must be mowed up and down and not side to side!

Be really careful when the bucket is loaded and you are moving. Keep it low. these little tractors will roll over in a heart beat.
Ask me how I know.

We do plan to use the bucket this weekend. I'll keep this in mind!

Solid advice. You will be zooming around, pulling stumps and digging holes before you know it.

Only thing I would add is be careful on the hills! i mow some pretty steep hills that must be mowed up and down and not side to side!

We have one side of the yard that is very steep. We built it into "tiered" rows several years back, and one thing we plan to do is smooth it back out to a slope. My husband has commented that we may have difficulty with this side of the yard. We're even considering renting a little bobcat instead of trying to do it with the tractor.

one question is can you drive a manual? I don't know how newer ones are but the old ones I used to get on all used a clutch so as long as your familiar with a clutch system driving arounds a breeze

Back
Top Bottom