• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Help me learn to use my new tractor

one question is can you drive a manual? I don't know how newer ones are but the old ones I used to get on all used a clutch so as long as your familiar with a clutch system driving arounds a breeze
I can drive a manual, but it's been years. I actually thought about picking up that Fiesta that @Nonliberal had for sale, to teach my kids.

The tractor has gears, but no clutch. I don't remember what that technology is called. I am familiar with the sound and feel of RPMs and how to translate that into a need to shift gears.

We have one side of the yard that is very steep. We built it into "tiered" rows several years back, and one thing we plan to do is smooth it back out to a slope. My husband has commented that we may have difficulty with this side of the yard. We're even considering renting a little bobcat instead of trying to do it with the tractor.

I have a tractor and that's what I would do.

You are going to find that a small tractor is very ineffective at "digging" undisturbed dirt. It is intended to move loose material-shavings, gravel, stuff that has been piled up by truck.

Days rental on a skid steer is around $200-250 dollars, and well worth.

IMO opinion operating a skid steer is much easier and safer that operating a tractor.

I did do some work (well, riding) this weekend. We had some tree trimmings that we tied to the bucket and drove around the yard to the burn pile (around the house, and down into the back yard......about 300-400 feet, downhill). Then we used the backhoe to dig up (or dig around and knock down) some old rotted stumps in the ground. It wasn't easy to learn, but I think I'm getting the hang of it.

We definitely need a bobcat (or skid steer? I don't know the difference) for the steepest part of the side yard.

We definitely need a bobcat (or skid steer? I don't know the difference) for the steepest part of the side yard.

"Bobcat" is a trade name for a brand of skid steer, like "Coke" is a carbonated beverage (or God forbid, if you're a Yankee, a "pop.")

Either term is o.k.. although you will find dealers in other brands exclusively use "skid steer" -- unless you want to rent one, then they are glad to take your money and rent you a "Bobcat."

Orange for the win! :cool: (I have an L3130).
DEFINITELY keep the center of gravity as low as possible (meaning low bucket when loaded).
Really practice is all you can do but yes there are some "tricks" that those that really know what they are doing can help you with. I, unfortunately, do not know those tricks. :mmph:
Sounds like you have what Kubota calls a GST (Glide shift transmission).

BTW, I love my John Deere, but operating a tractor to me is like flying a plane. If you ever get "comfortable" operating it, you're going to get hurt or killed. It's not a car.

As far as I'm concerned, Rule No. `1, which I keep having to drill into my best friend, is never get between the tractor and piece of equipment when the tractor can move. Even if it's out of gear, it can "lurch" if the operator's foot slips off the brake.

One of my former best friends got killed when he let his tractor run over him. Another got killed when he swung wide on a driveway he had driven through thousands of times. He missed the culvert, dropped a front wheel in the drainage ditch, and the tractor turned over on him. In a car, it would have been a slightly embarrassing accident.

Back
Top Bottom