Help out someone wanting to learn how to hunt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaziik

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
31   0
Reaction score
So I've been wanting to get into deer hunting for a while. I'll finally have enough funds come this fall to sink some money into a good rifle and all the other stuff needed (which is where I'll need a lot of the help). So, I was wondering if anyone would be willing to take me under their wing and teach me the ways of the hunt. Preferably be around the Carrollton area.

Edit: I literally know nothing about hunting aside from what rifle I'm going to buy.

Well to start with you don't need all the junk they sell at all the fancy stores. You also wont need all the crap they sell at the local Wal Mart.
I've got a few gray hairs and have owned most of that crap and dragged it all over the woods and back too many times. Learned a few things along the way.

The things you will need are good warm dry clothes ( I like insulated bibs and a hooded jacket) and good warm dry boots (Gore Tex). A small backpack for lunches,snacks, drinks, small flashlight, folding buck 110, lighter ear plugs and something comfortable to sit on. ( I like a nice comfortable cushion) It should also have room for gloves and a warm wool hat.

When it comes to a rifle I prefer a long action standard deer caliber 30-06,270,25-06 with a quality 3-9x40 or similar (Leupold) if you cant see em early and late you cant kill em.

I really cant think of anything else you need.
Try to get in the woods before the season opens and look around. See if you can find a spot with some trees dropping acorns. When you find an area that looks as if the leaves are tossed from the deer pawing them around to find acorns under the leaves you found a good spot. might need to put some trail markers on your way out.
Come back during the season. Strike your lighter so you can see which way the wind is blowing by the flame. Find a nice tree to sit at the base of down wind from the area but very close. Sit still. Deer are darn near blind but do see movement well.
When the deer come to feed shoot one.
Simple.
Now you can buy all that crap they sell if you want to,
it's your money,
and you can lug it around making racket all over the woods,
and make several trips while trying to get a deer out along with all that crap,
and you can climb trees up into the canopy where you cant see squat unless it walks right under you at the beginning of the season
and possibly even break your neck falling from a tree.
Or you can walk in the woods with minimal equipment and some patience, sit down make yourself comfortable be still and kill deer.

Good luck

What rifle are you going to buy and why? Lets start there.
http://www.kygunco.com/mobile/products.cfm/id/78932/name/ruger-rifles-shotguns

Not too sure on the scope yet. I've been doing a lot of research on what caliber I want to get and 6.5 creedmor seems to be the best multipurpose round for me. Yes I know the ammo is a little expensive and I'll probably end up having to order it online.

I really hate to ask but, how old are you? Do you have your hunter safety card?
23 and no

Forget insulated, get snake proof. BTW, what type of rifle are you going to get. Most of the shots I have taken have been under 50 yards, so about anything will work.
See above

http://www.kygunco.com/mobile/products.cfm/id/78932/name/ruger-rifles-shotguns

Not too sure on the scope yet. I've been doing a lot of research on what caliber I want to get and 6.5 creedmor seems to be the best multipurpose round for me. Yes I know the ammo is a little expensive and I'll probably end up having to order it online.

23 and no

See above

Go get your hunter safety card now because it will be slammed closer to hunting season. Take the online course, and if it hasn't changed, you only have to take the test in the classroom.

If you're going to be hunting the woods mostly, I'd stick to irons, red dot, 1 - 4x, or 2 - 7x at the most. If you're going to be hunting more open areas go with the 3-9x. I'd still try to keep your shots under 200 yards until you get some kills under your belt. Deer are pretty easy to kill for the most part, but if you're off just a little, they'll run for 1/2 mile - if they ever stop.

Do you have a place in mind to hunt?

I have a Nice .308 And Would also like to tag along with someone. I went tears ago and have no clue where and what to do.

I h ave a Rem 700 and 770 .308s

Ill buy beer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom