• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Help out someone wanting to learn how to hunt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well to start with you don't need all the junk they sell at all the fancy stores. You also wont need all the crap they sell at the local Wal Mart.
I've got a few gray hairs and have owned most of that crap and dragged it all over the woods and back too many times. Learned a few things along the way.

The things you will need are good warm dry clothes ( I like insulated bibs and a hooded jacket) and good warm dry boots (Gore Tex). A small backpack for lunches,snacks, drinks, small flashlight, folding buck 110, lighter ear plugs and something comfortable to sit on. ( I like a nice comfortable cushion) It should also have room for gloves and a warm wool hat.

When it comes to a rifle I prefer a long action standard deer caliber 30-06,270,25-06 with a quality 3-9x40 or similar (Leupold) if you cant see em early and late you cant kill em.

I really cant think of anything else you need.
Try to get in the woods before the season opens and look around. See if you can find a spot with some trees dropping acorns. When you find an area that looks as if the leaves are tossed from the deer pawing them around to find acorns under the leaves you found a good spot. might need to put some trail markers on your way out.
Come back during the season. Strike your lighter so you can see which way the wind is blowing by the flame. Find a nice tree to sit at the base of down wind from the area but very close. Sit still. Deer are darn near blind but do see movement well.
When the deer come to feed shoot one.
Simple.
Now you can buy all that crap they sell if you want to,
it's your money,
and you can lug it around making racket all over the woods,
and make several trips while trying to get a deer out along with all that crap,
and you can climb trees up into the canopy where you cant see squat unless it walks right under you at the beginning of the season
and possibly even break your neck falling from a tree.
Or you can walk in the woods with minimal equipment and some patience, sit down make yourself comfortable be still and kill deer.

Good luck
I agree completely. I grew up on a farm in Southern Illinois & deer hunting was as much a part of everyday life as church was. Do NOT buy all that gimmicky crap, 99% doesn't work & I used to buy into that junk. Get a good rifle, boots & a good heavy bladed knife. The rest is up to you. There more time & patience you have the better your luck will be. One last bit of advice is to hunt the moon cycles.

Just me but after reading your caliber choice, you may be already over thinking your gear.
You can buy whatever rifle you want but it's much easier all the way around to stick with a standard long action caliber. Especially if you're starting off with one hunting rifle It's not as hard as you would think to wind up needing ammo for some reason and being able to easily get 30-06 etc anywhere can pull your bacon out of the fire. Especially in rural areas where you're most likely to be hunting. You're also going to need enough ammo through the season to sight in, practice, and check zero. The price is right.
Different calibers have had favor over the decades and been hailed by gunwriters, bloggers and know it alls as "the magic bullet". They come and go. I remember well the coming and going of magnumitis as well as many others that have come and gone. The latest craze seems to be overbore short action calibers. dont get me wrong many of them shoot sweet and Yes some people still hunt with these calibers and love em but Truth is that it's hard to beat the good ol 30-06. It has stood the test of time because the the 30-06 is one bad deer slaying machine without being over or under powered. It has a good trajectory with a super wide array of bullets and weights and arrives to the target with authority. It will cleanly take any game in North America should the need arise. If you can see a deer and hit the deer it will kill the deer and contrary to all the "online experts" is no more or less accurate than any other caliber. It's hard to believe how many people are so misguided and I have seen lots people at the range over the years simply stunned when my old factory Savage puts em all into one ragged hole then they come over and start asking questions and wonder why their latest greatest whiz bang chambered remchesting wont do the same. Practice.
Also if you want to hunt then buy a hunting rifle. Stay away from fads such as heavy long barrels etc. A standard sporter weight barrel is the ticket and again I contend just as darn accurate and a heck of a lot easier to hunt.

When it comes to the scope don't over think it either. A Leupold VX2 or a VX3 (preferred) Is pretty much like the -06 considered to be the standard for a reason. It will serve you well for a lifetime and hold it's value. If you want to spend more you can but be very wary of cheap scopes and any of those made in China. You wont be able to tell anything about a scope by looking thorough it in a sporting goods store period.
Another tip that wiil save you tons of aggravation and money no matter which optic you choose is to ALWAYS cover your scope lenses before cleaning your rifle. Make darn sure to never get bore solvent or other cleaning products on the lenses. The coatings are very important and there is no faster way I know of short of running over it with a truck to screw em up than to get droplets of gun cleaner from a cleaning brush on em.
If you keep it simple and buy the right stuff the first time you'll come out way ahead in the long run.
I hope this helps and I realize that everybody likes something different. Keeping it simple and using time tested tried and true is the best way I know of to start.

Last edited:
Not near Carrolton but I sincerely hope someone takes you under their wing. Yes, do not over think it and sign up for the class like yesterday.
I'd definitely get a standard cartridge for your first rifle especially it's a venture into something you have no idea if you'll stick with. They are standard for a reason.

Just me but after reading your caliber choice, you may be already over thinking your gear.
You can buy whatever rifle you want but it's much easier all the way around to stick with a standard long action caliber. Especially if you're starting off with one hunting rifle It's not as hard as you would think to wind up needing ammo for some reason and being able to easily get 30-06 etc anywhere can pull your bacon out of the fire. Especially in rural areas where you're most likely to be hunting. You're also going to need enough ammo through the season to sight in, practice, and check zero. The price is right.
Different calibers have had favor over the decades and been hailed by gunwriters, bloggers and know it alls as "the magic bullet". They come and go. I remember well the coming and going of magnumitis as well as many others that have come and gone. The latest craze seems to be overbore short action calibers. dont get me wrong many of them shoot sweet and Yes some people still hunt with these calibers and love em but Truth is that it's hard to beat the good ol 30-06. It has stood the test of time because the the 30-06 is one bad deer slaying machine without being over or under powered. It has a good trajectory with a super wide array of bullets and weights and arrives to the target with authority. It will cleanly take any game in North America should the need arise. If you can see a deer and hit the deer it will kill the deer and contrary to all the "online experts" is no more or less accurate than any other caliber. It's hard to believe how many people are so misguided and I have seen lots people at the range over the years simply stunned when my old factory Savage puts em all into one ragged hole then they come over and start asking questions and wonder why their latest greatest whiz bang chambered remchesting wont do the same. Practice.
Also if you want to hunt then buy a hunting rifle. Stay away from fads such as heavy long barrels etc. A standard sporter weight barrel is the ticket and again I contend just as darn accurate and a heck of a lot easier to hunt.

When it comes to the scope don't over think it either. A Leupold VX2 or a VX3 (preferred) Is pretty much like the -06 considered to be the standard for a reason. It will serve you well for a lifetime and hold it's value. If you want to spend more you can but be very wary of cheap scopes and any of those made in China.
Another tip that wiil save you tons of aggravation and money no matter which optic you choose is to ALWAYS cover your scope lenses before cleaning your rifle. Make darn sure to never get bore solvent or other cleaning products on the lenses. The coatings are very important and there is no faster way I know of short of running over it with a truck to screw em up than to get droplets of gun cleaner from a cleaning brush on em.
If you keep it simple and buy the right stuff the first time you'll come out way ahead in the long run.
I hope this helps and I realize that everybody likes something different. Keeping it simple and using time tested tried and true is the best way I know of to start.
Thanks for all the solid advice. As far as the rifle goes I have a Winchester model 94 that I could easily hunt deer with but this is more of a multipurpose precision rifle (aka I need a good excuse to spend the money and 6.5 creedmoor interests me as a round)

I wouldn't invest a whole lot into something you may not like or get to do very often. Pick up a cheap used rifle, 30-06, 30-30 or a 308.
If you decide that it isn't for you, you aren't trying to get rid of a 6.5 creedmore.

The first thing, SAFETY, SAFETY, SAFETY, and before you ever hunt, is to become proficient with your firearm of choice. This would be the minimum.
Iron sights- 5 shot group in a pie pan at 50 yards.
Scope -5 shot group, less than 4" group at 100 yards.

There is a lot of wasted game (never recovered/scrapped due to bloodshot, fragments, and bile) and wasted time looking, caused by poor marksmanship.

If you buy your rifle today and start shooting, you might be ready come October.

Wish ya'll were closer.....Im old enough that I don't have to have a hunter safety card and wouldn't mind showing a few up and comers the ropes.

As mentioned it doesnt take much to kill a deer.You dont need to drop 3k into Under Armor hunting gear,Shmuck and Bender scope,blah blah. A good 30 cal rifle with irons will take anything in Ga.Camouflage helps but dont go ape **** crazy.Keep your scent level to zero and be patient sit and listen.Even if you dont harvest a deer you have spent quite time in the woods learning and watching.
Cant wait myself,come on Sept

Another tip ,you should have already been out scouting and looking.Now is time to learn there trails and times of crossing paths.Good to get out mineral licks and salt also ,Golden nuggets.
20160715_091144.jpg
20160715_091152.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom