• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Help out someone wanting to learn how to hunt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same situation as the OP. Always been interested in hunting but just never had any friends that hunt. Would love to try it though. Thank you to everyone for the tips.

Good info here. It's been said before but there probably isn't another rifle in existence that has taken as many deer as a 94. It is nice to have an excuse to buy a rifle though. It's really best to hunt deer from a tree stand but there is a bit of learning curve just using one. If you do use a tree stand, use a safety harness. Army surplus woodland camo I love. Don't forget the long johns. The TV shows are useless pretty much. If you want to really learn whitetail behavior, read up and spend a lot of time in the woods. Welcome to the world of deer hunting.

Yeah when I first started hunting it was all on the ground.
I had buddy's tell me tree stands were where it's at and boy were they right.....it's a whole new world up there when you can see them coming from much greater distance.
One thing people forget about hunting archery or crossbow is that they do most of their practicing in straight fields or backyard on a fairly
Level surface.
Man I'll tell ya....if you can set up your target block on the ground in certain places at differing ranges and hit the target you will get better and better with trajectory and shots will become more instinctive and less deer will be missed or wounded.
I'm lucky enough to hunt the back yard and can place my block on my shooting lanes to practice and it makes a world of difference.
A lot Of times I have to aim where I want the arrow to come out of the deer not where I want it to go in.
In many cases with archery or rifle if you're a new hunter make sure the deer is stopped when you shoot and sometimes all you have are mere seconds for a kill shot.
Regardless the more time you spend in the woods the more you learn....I learn something new every time.
I've been doing a lot of stalking on the ground lately and it's awesome in the mountains..........nothing like the first time a deer walks up on you thinking you're another deer or your Camo is so good that deer look right through you.

So I've been wanting to get into deer hunting for a while. I'll finally have enough funds come this fall to sink some money into a good rifle and all the other stuff needed (which is where I'll need a lot of the help). So, I was wondering if anyone would be willing to take me under their wing and teach me the ways of the hunt. Preferably be around the Carrollton area.

Edit: I literally know nothing about hunting aside from what rifle I'm going to buy.

BETTER FIND OUT WHERE AND HOW QUICK YOU CAN GET HUNTER SAFETY CERTIFICATION, or guns,equipment, AIN'T gonna help ya... Get to Work. You may have waited to late, better get in touch with the DNR, pretty darn quick...

If it helps you on choosing a gun, I've killed most of my deer with a 7.62x39 Wolf 123HP ($2 a box). They were either shot out of my old (gone now) SKS, or my AR15. I'm carrying a LR308 only because my 7.62x39 AR has a pinned flash hider (thanks Clinton AWB) and I use a can. Like others have said, get your hunter safety card ASAP. Next thing is to practice and be able to hit the kill zone on a deer without having to think about it. Funny things happen to people when a deer walks out and they can't steady their weapon because their heart is pounding so hard. A bad hit normally means a lost deer that will die later and be found by the yotes. Try to do some scouting now as you can't once the season starts unless you like being in the woods with ticks, chiggers, and that 1 mosquito that won't leave you along.
One other thing is to choose the correct ammo for your gun. Deer are thin skinned and need a good expanding bullet placed correctly to be taken humanely.

Save some money and buy a good entry level 30/06 made by Ruger, Savage, Remington. That will kill them just as dead and you can take the cash you save to join a lease.
A new hunter will be even more discouraged hunting public land.

So I've been wanting to get into deer hunting for a while. I'll finally have enough funds come this fall to sink some money into a good rifle and all the other stuff needed (which is where I'll need a lot of the help). So, I was wondering if anyone would be willing to take me under their wing and teach me the ways of the hunt. Preferably be around the Carrollton area.

Edit: I literally know nothing about hunting aside from what rifle I'm going to buy.

Vaziik, how is your marksmanship with a rifle?
Have you ever used a scoped bolt action rifle before?
How's your accuracy with the model 94 lever gun?
Is it scoped?

One thing to work on is marksmanship, and not just "sighting in" from a bench across sandbags.
Do some shooting from improvised field rests, the rail of a deer stand, standing but leaning against a tree, and the sitting or kneeling positions.

Although you didn't ask for recommendations on the rifle, I agree with others that 6.5 Creedmore is probably not the ideal choice for your first bold action big game rifle.

If you like a smaller caliber that's just powerful enough to get the job done at long range, and if you also want a cartridge that's great for long range target shooting, consider the 243 Winchester .

If you get one of those in the Remington 700 rifle family, it will come with the one in 9 inch twist rather than one in 10. Faster twist is better for stabilizing the heavy 100 or 105 grain very low drag bullets.

A Remington model 700 in 243 using a good quality handload or a premium factory load, with 100 or 105 grain bullets,
should be an 800- 1000 yard target rifle .
Or a 500 yard hunting rifle, if you do your part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom