• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Help...roll pin stuck

OP, don't use a dremel.

Please post pics. That helps solve problems quite quickly. You should be able to get it out from the other end.

Also, if you want to drive out to Euharlee GA, I can fix it for you and have spare bolt catch roll pins.

Lastly, PM me your email address. I made a very detailed guide on how to properly assemble a lower with a trick to keep your bolt catch lined up. It's much more detailed than the one on AR15.com and most other sites.

Been there,done that. I drove it out from the frontside. Get some frog tape and cover the lower with a layer or 2 where the punch won't scrape it up and knock it out backwards. After my experience with a bent pin I now put screw in mag release pins in all my builds......
No need for a screw. If you have the right tools, installing that pin takes literally just a few seconds.

I recommend a long starter punch and a ball end roll pin punch. Both can be purchased in sets for around $25 total. They are super useful.

Not real sure what to tell you in that situation brother. You may need to take it to a gunsmith to save your lower. I always use a pair of channelocks with the jaws taped so they don't scratch and press the roll pin in, I just never liked beating on them with a hammer
Using a roll pin starter punch and then driving it in with a ball end roll pin punch installs the pin in seconds. Takes light taps with a small jeweler a or armorers hammer to get it in.

No need for a screw. If you have the right tools, installing that pin takes literally just a few seconds.

I recommend a long starter punch and a ball end roll pin punch. Both can be purchased in sets for around $25 total. They are super useful.
True, but boy that screw in pin sure is nice if you ever decide to change to enhanced bolt catch later on. Lol

I'm guessing you are using an Anderson kit as I had the same thing happen to me. Roll pin was slightly oversized and bent/kinked before I got to the bolt catch. I've built a lot of lowers and fix is simple. I just took a straight punch (Harbor Freight set no less) and gently tapped the roll pin back thru from the other side with a very small hammer. Just use electrical tape anywhere you don't want scratches. I use a pair of Knipex plyers now and don't have to worry.

True, but boy that screw in pin sure is nice if you ever decide to change to enhanced bolt catch later on. Lol
Two things, you may want to edit your other post as you typed mag release.

The other. Are you using PC Armaments screw in conversion? Drilling and tapping the lower vs just installing a roll pin seems like a lot more work unless you have a lower like the Aero M5 that's threaded from the factory.

Back
Top Bottom