• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Help Valuing an Old Bass Boat

if your going shallow buy ya a kayak.
you'll be fishing the flats while the other boats are waiting on tides.
I’ve had my eye on some of the pedal powered yaks. Will probably get one eventually to use in addition to the boat. Need to get to know the area first and see what I’m up against. I already got a deal I couldn’t pass up on an old Key West 1520 and that will hold me until I decide what I want long term. I may end up being happy with it as all I need.

I live on the Ga coast and just bought a brand new Carolina Skiff JVX 18. Those are excellent boats for shallow water. I've been looking at used but the used market sucks. People are getting outrageous prices for 15-20 year old boats. The first and probably last new boat I'll ever buy. It will draft a few inches and with a slight V hull it will ride drier and smoother than a regular flat bottom skiff. I'm a big fan of the Carolina Skiffs. Made right here in south Ga.

I live on the Ga coast and just bought a brand new Carolina Skiff JVX 18. Those are excellent boats for shallow water. I've been looking at used but the used market sucks. People are getting outrageous prices for 15-20 year old boats. The first and probably last new boat I'll ever buy. It will draft a few inches and with a slight V hull it will ride drier and smoother than a regular flat bottom skiff. I'm a big fan of the Carolina Skiffs. Made right here in south Ga.
I have looked at the Carolina Skiffs. Still need to take a ride in one. They seem to be the go-to economical option for workhorse shallow water boat. May go that route eventually if I decide I want more space. I might find out this old Key West is all I end up wanting for a while. That’s assuming I ever get it in the water... I forgot what a PITA a 20 year old boat with multiple owners screwing with wiring and electronics over the years could be... throw in a little salt and you have a corroded birds-nest of who knows what. I’ve spent the last 3 days deciphering and rewiring and generally spending quality time with my multimeter... Thougt the trolling motor install was going to be easy and found last night that the mount holes, bow contours, and access hatch all conflict with a simple solution. Looks like I’m going to have to do some creative engineering.

I have looked at the Carolina Skiffs. Still need to take a ride in one. They seem to be the go-to economical option for workhorse shallow water boat. May go that route eventually if I decide I want more space. I might find out this old Key West is all I end up wanting for a while. That’s assuming I ever get it in the water... I forgot what a PITA a 20 year old boat with multiple owners screwing with wiring and electronics over the years could be... throw in a little salt and you have a corroded birds-nest of who knows what. I’ve spent the last 3 days deciphering and rewiring and generally spending quality time with my multimeter... Thougt the trolling motor install was going to be easy and found last night that the mount holes, bow contours, and access hatch all conflict with a simple solution. Looks like I’m going to have to do some creative engineering.
A few years ago I bought a 1982 Grady White hull and installed my 2000 Johnson motor. I took all of the old switches and fuse block off and started over. Pulled mostly new wire. Fabricated a new panel with all new lighted waterproof switches and installed a fuse panel that put everything on it's own fused circuit. It was PITA but worth it. I hate having multiple circuits tied to on fuse block. It makes trouble shooting a pain.

Back
Top Bottom