• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Help with this older Walther P38 9mm.

GeorgiaHunter

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
35   0
Reaction score
Thinking of buying this pistol but don't know much about them. Is P38 the model number? And I guess the 9mm is the caliber. I guessed this to be post WWII. But I didn't get into serial number etc.

Attachments

• Walther (2).jpg
    Walther (2).jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 48
Very cool gun. Be aware that this version has a soft alloy frame, and you shouldn't shoot anything heavier than 115 grain ammo out of it. They made a later version that had a reinforcing lug that won't beat itself up quite as much.

Thinking of buying this pistol but don't know much about them. Is P38 the model number? And I guess the 9mm is the caliber. I guessed this to be post WWII. But I didn't get into serial number etc.

Yes, it's a post-war Commercial Walther P-38 in 9mm Luger. First year of post-war commercial manufacture was 1956 IIRC.

Mid-40's AC code P38 for comparison. Was my Grandpop's that I inherited from dad. Wish now I had the slide forward for the photo. I'll occasionally fire a few rounds of 380acp through it.

i58.photobucket.com_albums_g255_m1carbean_3qfeb_uthekokeorgijef_zpsshjhecwf.jpg
I didn't know these will shoot 380acp. What is the caliber of the older ww2 models?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Very cool gun. Be aware that this version has a soft alloy frame, and you shouldn't shoot anything heavier than 115 grain ammo out of it. They made a later version that had a reinforcing lug that won't beat itself up quite as much.
Since posting this I have done some more reading. It seems that all post WWII P38's were aluminum frame. I think these only sell for about $400 IF both matching mags and the holster are included. And hers does not, I believe.

it's probably late 50s-early 60s. This was made before they changed the name to the p1 in 1963 to make it the official german sidearm again

directly after ww2 the french made p38s using some new manufacture parts but mostly parts leftover from the war (so it might have a steel frame) until walther rebuilt their manufacturing plant and started producing p1/p38 with aluminum frame to save money(the aluminum is not the high grade stuff we have today so stick with 115 grain non +p ammo)

in ww2 they used code to state the manufacturer so that the allies couldn't find the production centers a easily

I paid $350 for a post war 70s p1, they don't have the collectors value of the ww2 variation

Yours ^^^ appears to be in fairly good condition and well taken care of :thumb:

I believe they're all chambered in common 9mm. The .380 cartridge is same diameter but shorter, and with a lighter load so I don't stress the old girl :)
Thanks for explaining!! I have a P-38, looks like a post war german police pistol I'm looking forward to getting in my possession.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Yours ^^^ appears to be in fairly good condition and well taken care of :thumb:

I believe they're all chambered in common 9mm. The .380 cartridge is same diameter but shorter, and with a lighter load so I don't stress the old girl :)
You can shoot most brands of 9mm non+p 115 gr ammo without fear. It might be picky with ammo as it is military pistol designed for fmj

Back
Top Bottom