• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Here we go: 9mm vs. .45 ACP

Beating a dead horse here, but I'll add my .02 cents. Just about every Leo that I have spoken with states that the average shoot out scenario is anywhere between 7 and 10 yards. Most of us are proficient with our handguns to QUICKLY empty a full magazine into a body sized target at 10 yards with decent grouping. With that being said, I have to make a point. Many people carry a 9mm for both capacity and cost reasons. I'm sorry, but it's like Several people have told me as a Kid, if I shoot 7, 8, or 9 230 grain hydra shoks, and the perp or perps are still coming, I deserve to get got. The purpose of carrying a gun for defensive purposes is to take someone out quickly and effectively. A 45 hardball practically does more damage than a 9mm hollow point, Youve got nearly twice the mass, and a much larger diameter. Even if there's two guys, double tap on both with a 45 would atleast get them to back the **** up. As far as carrying a 9mm, you have to use more rounds to do the same job. Granted caliber is no substitution for shot placement, but at the end of the day, a take down shot needs to be quick and effective. Think of deer hunting. Many ppl say you can kill deer all day long with a .223, many others say nothing smaller than a .30 cal. While a .223 may drop the occasional deer in it's tracks, lets face it, even blowing out the heart and both lungs they still have fight in them after getting hit with a 30/30, why would u wanna chance it by using a 56 grain 223 and miss the buck of a lifetime? Where am I going with this?? Well, simple. why take the chance of hitting someone with a smaller round that won't take them out as quickly and effectively. Remember, the less damage you do, the more fight the guy has and the more he can return the favor. I've read reports from emt on gunshot victims who were coherent, and many others that weren't, there's so many factors to think about that we could argue this all day long. But put simply, a 230 grain hollowpoint will do a much better and effective job and putting a hostile situation to an end than a 124 grain 38 cal round. U may not get a one shot kill with either, but if u find yourself in court, it may look a lot better on yourside with say 3 rounds of 45 than 9 or 10 9mms.. Excessive force could be used against u in that case.

And as far as the factor of "cost to practice with.." well lemme say this much. You don't carry a gun to target shoot, you carry a gun to protect yourself, which means you need the best possible tool and need to know how to use its full potential. If spending an extra 3 dollars to ensure that you can better protect you and little mary sue from a hyped up crackhead with nothing to lose and a gun in his hand, then stick to your 9mm.

I used to carry a 9mm so it was obviously superior, now I carry a .45 so it is obviously superior.

Unless I am carrying a .380, which is obviously superior to both.

for comp I use 9mm, for carry and to stop someone I tote a pro carry II .45 kimber. Its all about praticality, obviously when a 45 is availiable I will not carry a 9mm, BUT on the other hand the xdm holds 20 and the kimber holds 9 thats twice the capacity.

Ultimately and traditionaly its a compromise between power or capacity

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom