• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Here's one for the S&W gurus (help me find a revolver).

Since you prefer a stainless model, I suggest you look for a K frame model.
Egghead just mentioned the M65-1, which was introduced in 1972, a M66 no dash, which was introduced in 1970.
Serial number ranges for the K frames produced in 1972 are:
2K55997-2K99999 ALSO 3K31280-5K6616 AND 4K1-4K1627

The difference between the M65, 3 or 4" barrel, and the M66, 2.5, 3, 4 and 6" barrel, is minimal. The major difference is the M65 has a fixed sight and the M66 has an adjustable sight.

Thank you sir, I will begin the hunt. Do you happen to have the serial number span for '72?

ETA: Any idea why it was introduced w/ a dash if it was the first model/year?
Looks like JWC has you covered on serial number ranges. As far being introduced that way no idea, it's S&W there's no rhyme or reason for what they do.

I do not have a concrete answer to this question. I can only give you rumors. It is rumored that S&W actually made a M65 no dash, but decided to change something and thus it was released as a M65-1. The M13 was also introduced as a M13-1.
BTW, most think that a M65 is the stainless version of the M13, but the M13 was not released until 1974, 2 years after the M65 . The M65 is more a stainless version of the M10-6 which had been made to accept .357s. I know, who cares, but I could not help myself.

I do not have a concrete answer to this question. I can only give you rumors. It is rumored that S&W actually made a M65 no dash, but decided to change something and thus it was released as a M65-1. The M13 was also introduced as a M13-1.
BTW, most think that a M65 is the stainless version of the M13, but the M13 was not released until 1974, 2 years after the M65 . The M65 is more a stainless version of the M10-6 which had been made to accept .357s. I know, who cares, but I could not help myself.

JWC JWC that big ole brain of yours never ceases to amaze me on the S&W issues! Myself and B.Byrd use to joke about how long it would take you to answer someone's question on here!

Actually, the model 65-1 was introduced in 1972 as a dash 1 because of a request by the Oklahoma Highway Patrol for a heavy barrel 64-1, but chambered in .357 Magnum. Smith actually produced the 64-1 (normally chambered in .38 Special) in the Magnum ctg. for the OHP. To eliminate confusion when it was decided to offer the same configuration commercially, they gave it a new name, thus the 65-1. The dash 1 was because of the new chambering, not any other specific manufacturing change.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Actually, the model 65-1 was introduced in 1972 as a dash 1 because of a request by the Oklahoma Highway Patrol for a heavy barrel 64-1, but chambered in .357 Magnum. Smith actually produced the 64-1 (normally chambered in .38 Special) in the Magnum ctg. for the OHP. To eliminate confusion when it was decided to offer the same configuration commercially, they gave it a new name, thus the 65-1. The dash 1 was because of the new chambering, not any other specific manufacturing change.

Hope this helps.

Sounds good to me!!

BTW, I want to give credit for my information to the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson 4th Edition.

I also have a copy of History of Smith & Wesson and Smith & Wesson 1857-1945.

All great books for anyone interested in S&Ws.

Back
Top Bottom