• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

High School in 1970 vs 2015

Normally they have to stretch things to the absurd to make it interesting or funny. Those were almost completely real, no fabrication needed. Sad.

My freshman year in college I had to do a 'multi media' presentation for communications class. This was 1984. Multi-media meant just that, different types of media. So I brought in a poster board with a diagram of a pistol cartridge and my ACTUAL model Smith and Wesson Model 19. Did get it 'approved' ahead of time or anything, me. ATF was never called but I did only get a B+. :mmph:

Our school had a competition shooting team in the 70's actually and had a full on indoor 100 yard range in the basement.. Shame it went to waste and is just used for storage now :(

i carried a pocket knife everyday in Jr and Sr High school. In six years, I never attacked anyone Never got in trouble. My daughter was worried that a plastic knife in her lunch box might get her in trouble.
common sense aint so common these days.

i carried a pocket knife everyday in Jr and Sr High school. In six years, I never attacked anyone Never got in trouble. My daughter was worried that a plastic knife in her lunch box might get her in trouble.
common sense aint so common these days.

Had a knife ever since I was 10.Carry 2 or more to this day.

Every guy I knew in high school carried a pocket knife.

We had our fair share of fights, but I never saw a knife get pulled.

If anybody HAD ever pulled a knife during a fight, they would've been branded a coward from then on.

Last edited:
We had a rifle team in high school. Shot .22's in the basement of the old gym. We could either shoot the school's rifles or bring our own from home. Carried a knife or two every day. Nobody ever got shot or cut.

Damn, I feel too young to comment.

I has a Jr in high school hs when Columbine happened. Being a catholic school, we all went outside had a prayer vigil and moved on as if nothing happened. Could it have happened to us? Probably, but it didnt.

I feel bad for kids today. We have made discipline taboo and drugs legal for control. No one wants to take accountability for their actions. It was someone else's fault! This fork made me fat (true story. :lol:)

I want my children to respect authority, conduct themselves as civilized individuals, and take blame when they mess up. Makes for strong character.

Smh.... I hate being a grown up...

Every guy I knew in high school carried a pocket knife.

We had our fair share of fights, but I never saw a knife get pulled.

If anybody HAD ever pulled a knife during a fight, they would've been branded a coward from then on.

Today that gets you "street cred". We carried swords (of all things) on Sam Brown belts for ROTC during the school day, not just on parade. Hated that thing. The rifle team at NEHS opened one of the finest indoor 50 ft rifle ranges in the Southeastern US in 1983. Used real Anschutz rifles too. Funny no one ever died from using those "snapper raffles". Probably used as a self esteem therapy room now.

Back
Top Bottom