• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hike, hunt, and camp

batoncolle

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
35   0
Reaction score
Are there state or federal lands in GA where I can go hike off the beaten path, hunt, and tent camp for several days once gun deer season starts? I know I can use a suppressor now on state lands. What about federal lands? Are there any caliber restrictions? Check in/check out requirements, etc? I just want to go rough it for a few days and go hunting.

I've read through the GA regs and didn't see much so if anyone knows the answers or can direct me to the right place, it's much appreciated.

This is the main regulation manual (they make these harder to find now)
http://www.eregulations.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/17GAHD-LR2.pdf

WMAs have very very very short opportunities to gun hunt for larger game (only a few days a year - which is retarded if a harvest limit is set (which it is), but i guess the DNR wants to impair safety and **** over public hunter's opportunities - making hunting less appealing to people who cant afford land leases - and therefore overall less revenue for the DNR).

For camping and hunting, your best option is the Chattahoochee National Forest.
Refer to page 25, page 34 on the pdf. It appears to be buck only on weekdays and either-sex on weekends.
BUT... it says that ONLY October 28 and November 25 is either-sex days on Chattahoochee NF land east of I-75.. and it's the same as the county either sex days on Chattahoochee NF lands west of I-75. But the Chattahoochee NF doesn't exist west of I-75 so I have no idea why that's in the regulations. So technically it's buck only except on Oct 28 and Nov 25.

You are only allowed 2 bucks the whole season and 10 females. But I have no idea how people even kill more than 1 doe considering the low number of either sex days. Do people really kill 10 does in the 2 days they are allowed to? To me, makes more sense to lower the limit to 2 does and expand the public hunting opportunities in order to not crowd the forest.

This is the main regulation manual (they make these harder to find now)
http://www.eregulations.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/17GAHD-LR2.pdf

WMAs have very very very short opportunities to gun hunt for larger game (only a few days a year - which is retarded if a harvest limit is set (which it is), but i guess the DNR wants to impair safety and **** over public hunter's opportunities - making hunting less appealing to people who cant afford land leases - and therefore overall less revenue for the DNR).

For camping and hunting, your best option is the Chattahoochee National Forest.
Refer to page 25, page 34 on the pdf. It appears to be buck only on weekdays and either-sex on weekends.
BUT... it says that ONLY October 28 and November 25 is either-sex days on Chattahoochee NF land east of I-75.. and it's the same as the county either sex days on Chattahoochee NF lands west of I-75. But the Chattahoochee NF doesn't exist west of I-75 so I have no idea why that's in the regulations. So technically it's buck only except on Oct 28 and Nov 25.

You are only allowed 2 bucks the whole season and 10 females. But I have no idea how people even kill more than 1 doe considering the low number of either sex days. Do people really kill 10 does in the 2 days they are allowed to? To me, makes more sense to lower the limit to 2 does and expand the public hunting opportunities in order to not crowd the forest.

Thanks for the info. I hunt already so I'm aware of the bag limits, etc., and I have the e regs. The problem is when you try to tie the hiking and camping into the equation. I think the NF is my best option, but from what the ranger was telling me, I may run into hiking/camping restrictions in many areas.

In for answers. It would be a cool thing to do. Oconee NF could be a decent option, I'm thinking.

From what I've been able to figure out, NF is going to be the best option. It looks like you have to narrow down your spot, and then call the local ranger station and find out if there are any area restrictions. I was looking to do something when it got colder, and I was hoping I could carry a 22 for squirrel and a rifle for deer or hogs. I was just curious if someone had any actual experience in doing this.

I would imagine you would be able to do this on certain WMA's. I've camped a couple nights in several WMA's without issue and on a couple of those trips i've ran into folks coming in to hunt on the property.

Back
Top Bottom