• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Hog hunting cohutta wma

A couple pair of really good boots will help , you can get lost easy up there and it could be a long walk out , decent deer hunting , a good many bears and hogs , just keep in mind if your 5 miles from your truck shoot a smaller hog , 2 of you can pack it out in one trip .

I agree on the boots, I will need to invest in some all I have is slip ons and that isn't going to fly. We might have to stay at a designated camping area the forestry rules say no campfires, and that sure isn't going to fly in the middle of winter with me.

Where can I get a good topo map?? I have a gps with ga map pack but definitely want a back up. Planning on my buddy and myself walking opposite sides of a ridge with a decent river bottom or where a few creeks run together or are in close proximity. That is some steep terrain.I have been thinking of using some paracord and a block and tackle in the event I do get lucky. Rather than quarter it up and make 4 trips. Does anybody know where a good concentration of hogs would be up there?
Google Earth
plus:
http://www.earthpoint.us/TopoMap.aspx

Very cool. It will overlay a Topo on any part of North America on Google Earth and you can even adjust the transparency of it. Very easy to do and, once it's done, it will automatically be there anytime you open Google Earth. Oh yeah, it's also free.

The reason there are a lot of bear and hog up there is because most folks don't want to kill one in that kind of terrain. One basic rule. Park low and hunt high. Getting a big one out going down hill is hard. Going up hill is near impossible.

The reason there are a lot of bear and hog up there is because most folks don't want to kill one in that kind of terrain. One basic rule. Park low and hunt high. Getting a big one out going down hill is hard. Going up hill is near impossible.
6 of us went in deep 30 years ago when we were young and in good shape( to get away from the crowd ) , it got daylight and one of my buds killed a big black bear ,it took 6 of us 7 hours to get it to the truck , we were not allowed to gut it back then , it had to come out whole , we all had several chance to kill deer while dragging that bear out , not a shot was fired That was the last and only time I ever went there to hunt .

I have only been up there once and just walked around for the day. Saw some huge pig tracks and the terrain was really steep. Honestly I would be plenty happy with a 60-100 lb hog for some sausage and porch chops. Between my buddy and myself I think we would be able to get it out if we worked smart about it. I really need to call the warden up there and see which roads will be open and the final ruling on camping and camp fires. I enjoy feeling my fingers and toes..

I have only been up there once and just walked around for the day. Saw some huge pig tracks and the terrain was really steep. Honestly I would be plenty happy with a 60-100 lb hog for some sausage and porch chops. Between my buddy and myself I think we would be able to get it out if we worked smart about it. I really need to call the warden up there and see which roads will be open and the final ruling on camping and camp fires. I enjoy feeling my fingers and toes..
Of course, if you go up there with the intention of killing a small hog, 400lb Hogzilla is going to step out and say "shoot me"! And you will and you will regret it a lot.

It might suck at the time but it would be one hell of a story... And you are 100% correct I'm gonna let one fly if something like that steps out. At least it will keep me off the odt for a little while and save me some money!

Back
Top Bottom