Honest is the best policy......or is it?

So I went to Kroger today to pick a few things up. After locking my car and walking to the store I saw a purse left in a cart. So I did what I thought was right and placed my purse next to it and took the cart inside.
I had a look inside the purse and yes I went straight to the wallet......come on it wasn't to find the ID it was to check how much was in. There was a few 20's and ones.
Well I did my shopping and no one came up to me to tell me it was there purse.
so I checked out and headed to my car.
This time with my full attention looking inside the purse I found the owners driving license, uncashed checks, family pictures, medication and a cell. I didn't need anything out of this purse, it didn't belong to me. So............. I put her address into my sat nav and I decided to deliver it back. Well she lives on a 2million gated sub division (St Marlos if anyone is wondering) How the floop was I going to explain this one.
So I got to the gate house and i explained the situation. she said the owner had just come back and said someone has stolen my purse. STOLEN- omg i hadn't. I got directions to her house and her husband was so thankful and asked where I found it. He wasn't happy when I said it was left in the cart..... her gratitude and thankfulness was wonderful. Her husband disappeared, I was wishing her a wonderful Christmas and New year and opening the front door when he came running to me with a reward!
He was upset he could only find $130 for me.......I did refuse it but he gave me no option but to take it.
So there you go..... my good deed and a happy ending.

Merry Christmas Cheeky, you payed it forward today congrats..Sometimes the greatest reward is being honest..Well done!

You stole a purse and returned it for the reward? .......j/k. Shoulda turned it in at the store though. If cops found it on you on the way to give it back they woulda have charged you. Crazy but true. You done good though.

This.

Brit, even if you didn't feel like you were stealing it, it LOOKED that way to any observer that doesn't read your thoughts. Taking possession of the item and taking it away from the place where you found it is pretty much all you need to do in order to be arrested for theft of lost or mislaid property. Imagine what would have happened if you'd been stopped by the police before you got close to the owner's house? Where would your proof be that you intended to return it, all of it, intact?

Some 10 years ago, a criminal defense lawyer (not me; I was a prosecutor then) was arrested and charged with theft of lost or mislaid property for picking up a necklace she found in a Cracker Barrel parking lot. She inquired of the store management if somebody had complained about losing jewelry in the parking lot, and at that time nobody had (the owner didn't know WHERE she'd lost it, or exactly when).

This lawyer didn't contact the authorities until AFTER the Sheriff's office obtained surveillance camera images of her taking he necklace and posted those images on social media, from which she was identified. Then she contacted the Sheriff's office. And got arrested.

I think the charges were later dropped. But it goes to show you that this isn't an area of the law to mess around with.

This.

Brit, even if you didn't feel like you were stealing it, it LOOKED that way to any observer that doesn't read your thoughts. Taking possession of the item and taking it away from the place where you found it is pretty much all you need to do in order to be arrested for theft of lost or mislaid property. Imagine what would have happened if you'd been stopped by the police before you got close to the owner's house? Where would your proof be that you intended to return it, all of it, intact?

Some 10 years ago, a criminal defense lawyer (not me; I was a prosecutor then) was arrested and charged with theft of lost or mislaid property for picking up a necklace she found in a Cracker Barrel parking lot. She inquired of the store management if somebody had complained about losing jewelry in the parking lot, and at that time nobody had (the owner didn't know WHERE she'd lost it, or exactly when).

This lawyer didn't contact the authorities until AFTER the Sheriff's office obtained surveillance camera images of her taking he necklace and posted those images on social media, from which she was identified. Then she contacted the Sheriff's office. And got arrested.

I think the charges were later dropped. But it goes to show you that this isn't an area of the law to mess around with.
Thank you - I just wanted to be honest

Good on You. I had a similar situation at our local Kroger. Stopped in to grab a few things to grill out and saw a small, what I would call coin purse on the ground. I almost didn't bother with it but decided to pick it up. When I looked inside there was about 400 in cash a GA DL and social security card. I went inside and went directly to the customer service desk and asked them to page the lady whos name was on the I.D. One of the ladies working said she knew the lady in question and knew she had just left. They looked her up and called her. She returned to the store and I gave her back her wallet. I didn't want to just trust the people at Kroger would do the right thing I wanted to know the lady got her property back. Doing the right thing is not always easy but it sure does make sleeping a lot easier.

Good on You. I had a similar situation at our local Kroger. Stopped in to grab a few things to grill out and saw a small, what I would call coin purse on the ground. I almost didn't bother with it but decided to pick it up. When I looked inside there was about 400 in cash a GA DL and social security card. I went inside and went directly to the customer service desk and asked them to page the lady whos name was on the I.D. One of the ladies working said she knew the lady in question and knew she had just left. They looked her up and called her. She returned to the store and I gave her back her wallet. I didn't want to just trust the people at Kroger would do the right thing I wanted to know the lady got her property back. Doing the right thing is not always easy but it sure does make sleeping a lot easier.
I applaud you - thank you

Back
Top Bottom