• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

How are QDM counties determined?

Vincent Vega

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
439   0
Reaction score
So obviously there are a handful of the 159 counties in Georgia that have been designated as quality deer management counties. It seems this list hasn't changed much over the years and I dont recall a county ever losing its QDM designation. How does a county become designated as such and is it possible for a county to lose its designation? I guess I should know the answer but I don't!

They apply through DNR and have to get a percentage of residents or landowners(?) to submit paperwork then some other paperwork.and its done.Or something like that.

About 14 years ago, Hancock County decided to look into becoming a QDM county. Many of the city council members and the chamber of commerce, as well as business owners, figured that since all we have in Hancock is pine trees and deer, then we should capitalize on the raising of quality deer. With Hancock being one of the poorest counties in the state, the promotion of having big deer would increase the price of leases, land, and bring in more revenue for the businesses.

A group of guys created the Hancock County Sportsman Association. We met every month and many times the DNR would send a representative to our meetings. For a year or two, the deer coolers would keep track of the deer that were brought in. They recorded the weight, sex, age, and size of rack. When all was "said and done", the state made their recommendations for the restrictions in the county.

A ballot was then sent out to all landowners. The issue passed overwhelming, although, I do have neighbors that did not vote for it and still do not like it. Personally, I voted for it, but we have always been pretty selective anyway.

As a side note, the state biologist in many of their meetings claimed that the spikes and "screwed up" racked bucks would be phased out over about a five to six year period. In theory, the dominant bucks would kick the inferior buck's ass, and eventually do all of the breeding, giving us better genetics. Well, in our particular area, that didn't happen, as we still see just as many inferior and half rack bucks as we ever did. Overall, we do tend to see slightly nicer bucks than we used to, but a lot of that I believe has to do with the changing of the land around us.

Whew, I'm done. LOL

About 14 years ago, Hancock County decided to look into becoming a QDM county. Many of the city council members and the chamber of commerce, as well as business owners, figured that since all we have in Hancock is pine trees and deer, then we should capitalize on the raising of quality deer. With Hancock being one of the poorest counties in the state, the promotion of having big deer would increase the price of leases, land, and bring in more revenue for the businesses.

A group of guys created the Hancock County Sportsman Association. We met every month and many times the DNR would send a representative to our meetings. For a year or two, the deer coolers would keep track of the deer that were brought in. They recorded the weight, sex, age, and size of rack. When all was "said and done", the state made their recommendations for the restrictions in the county.

A ballot was then sent out to all landowners. The issue passed overwhelming, although, I do have neighbors that did not vote for it and still do not like it. Personally, I voted for it, but we have always been pretty selective anyway.

As a side note, the state biologist in many of their meetings claimed that the spikes and "screwed up" racked bucks would be phased out over about a five to six year period. In theory, the dominant bucks would kick the inferior buck's ass, and eventually do all of the breeding, giving us better genetics. Well, in our particular area, that didn't happen, as we still see just as many inferior and half rack bucks as we ever did. Overall, we do tend to see slightly nicer bucks than we used to, but a lot of that I believe has to do with the changing of the land around us.

Whew, I'm done. LOL
Wow. Thanks for the background. Not sure why anyone would want to do it but I guess roughly the same process would be required to reverse the designation. Correct?

Back
Top Bottom