• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How do you store gas?

image.jpg

I utilize 5 gallon cans from Walmart. $20 a piece. I also use either premium with ethanol treatment and fuel stabilizer, or ethanol free regular with fuel stabilizer. I've personally gone out to 20 months in this manor. I also like to use shipping tags to keep it all organized.

I got a 30 gal metal drum, a drum dolly and a pump for about 1/4 of what one of those overpriced fuel caddies cost. Even buying ethanol free and treating with sta-bil I still have to worry about carburetors getting gunked up over the winter. Best to just make sure everything gets run regularly and rotate that gas. If I don’t use what’s in my Drum about every three months I pump it out into my truck and start fresh.

I been using the red plastic gas cans for 15 years, fill em, add stabil & use in vehicles once a year and refill, never had an issue yet with any of em. I don't use metal except for mil cans for diesel for the CUCV. And I have a 50 gallon drum, plastic diesel fuel for emergencies.
cucv.jpg

If you want to store fuel, convert to diesel power. Storing gasoline is a fool's errand, and very dangerous. Did you know a CDL is prohibited from carrying 5 or more gallons of gasoline without a HAZMAT endorsement? Even if it is in a genset. Silly, but there are safety reasons for this.

It is funny that "gasoline storage" and "survival" are mentioned in the same thread. LOL.

I'm not a cdl and it is in a specially designed building for nothing else and isolated from dwellings, not issuers for over 15 years,
5 gallons might run a generator 25 hours whatya gonna do with power out for a week???

Yes, I agree completely that the best defense is regular rotation. But I have tested to see what exactly all this additive wizardry is capable of. 20 months was what I got. It allowed me to have a good understanding of how fragile gasoline is as a fuel. I purchased carb kits to transform my generator to propane. But again those methods are finite. I looked into solar and purchased a wood stove for longer term solutions.

wood stoves are a definite need, or fireplaces, and a source for wood. I have both and enjoy a fire and the ambiance even when the power is on. also with woodstoves you have a cook top if needed a plus for long power outages. Water storage is also good for both drinking and flushing toilets, I keep 2 50 gallon drums just for those reasons.

Back
Top Bottom