• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How far does 1lb of powder go loading 9mm?

insulinboy

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
36   0
Reaction score
Just a general guestimate.. 500 rounds? 1000 rounds? I'm about ready to give up and just bite the bullet and order some powder online and I'm currious #1 how much should I order and #2 how much do I need to order to make it cost effective.. a lb of Hodgedon longshot runs $20 +$30 hazmat charge, add 500 zero bullets for $52 and if 1lb does me those 500 bullets I'm looking at $11 a box which is saving me a couple dollars but not a lot (Im not really in it for the money, I do enjoy the process and want tighter tolerances than cheap factory loads) if I can figure close to 1000 rounds out of the lb of powder hooray even more.

2nd question.. Anybody have any problems with Hodgedon Longshot? Its available and I can find load data for it and its under my $30/lb price point (until the hazmat charge, but if I order 3lbs I get back to my $30/lb price margin but I'm worried about having too much powder around and having it go south on me before I use it too).. Honestly at this point its my only reasoning for picking it out right now :(

powder dont go bad keep it in a dryplace and you will be fine, Country sportsman in rome has plenty of powder most of the time, skip the haz/mat fee

You'll get way more 9mm rounds than that from 1lb of powder. There are 7000 grains in 1lb and most plinking loads call for 4.7 to 5 grains per round (I load 4.8gr of HP38). 7000/5 should yeild ~1400 rounds. It will vary by powder but not by much. I've seen powder locally more recently. Have you looked at Bass Pro and Cabelas?

powder dont go bad keep it in a dryplace and you will be fine, Country sportsman in rome has plenty of powder most of the time, skip the haz/mat fee

Appreciate that. I've been all over.. and haven't tried there.. Everybody has rifle powder I'm having trouble finding pistol powder though

And yes.. I've been going to cabela's once a week for two months and they haven't had pistol powder any of the times I've been in there..

And thanks for the Conversion for the amount of Grains in a lb of powder.. I suppose if I searched a little harder I probably would have found that.. Too tired, past my bedtime :lol:

If you're reloading to save money, shop around. You should definitely be able to get down below $8/box for good target 9mm ammo. Check out Xtreme Bullets for projectiles. They actually have a 24 hour sale on 9mm today.

http://www.xtremebullets.com/9mm-115-RN-p/xc9mm-115rn-b0500.htm

As stated above, powder in 9mm goes a LONG way. I actually use a shotgun powder at 3.6gr/round which yields almost 1950 rounds per pount.

Back
Top Bottom