• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How far does 1lb of powder go loading 9mm?

I ORDER FOM MIDSOUTH AND GET 10 1POUNDS CANS AND 10,000 PRIMERS AND THEY SHIP FOR ONE HAZMAT FEE. THEY WILL SHIP UP TO 50 PONDS TO BOX FOR ONE HAZMAT PRIMERS AND POWDER.HARD TO BEAT EXTREME BULLETS FOR MONEY AND THEY PERFORM GREAT.

yes.. xtreme is were its at..
i just ordered 2000 115gr RN for 150.00 today
and they preform quite well from many past experiences

Hey guys am I missing something here?

I've been buying 147 grain lead from Georgia Arms for $124 for two thousand.
Because I'm using the heavier round it takes less powder, 3.2 grains.
As long as they stay under 1000fps I get no leading in the Glock barrels.
I've shot probably 6,000 of these through a Glock 34 Gen 3 without any problems.

So, the jacketed bullets cost more and require me to use more powder for each.
Why would someone want to do that for reload/target ammunition?

I feel like I'm missing something here, am I?

lead vs. plated vs. jacketed is mostly preference for target/plinking. If you want the bare minimum/cheapest go for lead. A little better go for the plated and if you have a wad of cash burning a hole in your pocket go for jacketed. I personally prefer the plated. I load to jacketed spec on most calibers and they work for me. Lead works if you keep them under 1000fp/s which just isn't enough for me. However GC lead works sometimes.

Hey guys am I missing something here?

I've been buying 147 grain lead from Georgia Arms for $124 for two thousand.
Because I'm using the heavier round it takes less powder, 3.2 grains.
As long as they stay under 1000fps I get no leading in the Glock barrels.
I've shot probably 6,000 of these through a Glock 34 Gen 3 without any problems.

So, the jacketed bullets cost more and require me to use more powder for each.
Why would someone want to do that for reload/target ammunition?

I feel like I'm missing something here, am I?

If you only have an indoor range close by, lead is not a good choice. Too smokey to shoot lead indoors. IMO

and just to re-iterate- powder will not go bad if stored properly. I've opened many cans of powder that were 10+ years old and have never had any issues with any of them. if it's in stock just pick up whatever you think you might need for the next few years if the price is right and be happy...for general use age shouldn't be an issue with the powder.

it does look like the powder situation is getting a little better. primers and bullets seem to be good and I notice that powder does seem to trickle in here and there...

and just to re-iterate- powder will not go bad if stored properly. I've opened many cans of powder that were 10+ years old and have never had any issues with any of them. if it's in stock just pick up whatever you think you might need for the next few years if the price is right and be happy...for general use age shouldn't be an issue with the powder.

it does look like the powder situation is getting a little better. primers and bullets seem to be good and I notice that powder does seem to trickle in here and there...

Yep! Been stockpiling the stuff while I can. Won't catch me without again!

Back
Top Bottom