• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How is the milsurp market these days?

The trend is to make small changes and create new types of competitions to attract new shooters. Nextgen competitors ('customers') are becoming less interested in the vintage weapons.

Sad but true....
the metal butt plate hitting your shoulder is the fun part, makes it feel more interactive vs the light recoil, rubber but pad modern rifles

edit: got some more of that nagant commercial ammo for you

looks like the Vetterly that fell in my lap this week is getting a bit of a second life. When i got it it was pretty much all seized up, bolt could be released and pulled back with some effort but no movement on the loading mechanism and it did not want to come apart at all. A couple of days of soaking in wd40 got it apart and then another day of soaking in hops and scrubbing to clean. To my surprise the internals didn't have much rust but rather this rifle was elevated to wall hanger status while dirty from soot and grease and although that pretty much seized up the internals when it dried out it kind of also protected them from corrosion. After i first got the rifle home i checked the bore i couldn't see any light through but with help from my friend wd40 and the cleaning rod i eventually managed to remove the blockage (very carefully) it originally seamed rock hard but it turned out to be some kind of cloth soaked in grease that had been stuffed into the barrel from the receiver end, is this some kind of storage practice anyone is familiar with?

Soon though I will have a pretty cool functioning wall hanger (not sure ill risk shooting it) model 1869 that at some point was converted to 70 configuration. I should have taken some before pictures but hindsight is always 20-20.

looks like the Vetterly that fell in my lap this week is getting a bit of a second life. When i got it it was pretty much all seized up, bolt could be released and pulled back with some effort but no movement on the loading mechanism and it did not want to come apart at all. A couple of days of soaking in wd40 got it apart and then another day of soaking in hops and scrubbing to clean. To my surprise the internals didn't have much rust but rather this rifle was elevated to wall hanger status while dirty from soot and grease and although that pretty much seized up the internals when it dried out it kind of also protected them from corrosion. After i first got the rifle home i checked the bore i couldn't see any light through but with help from my friend wd40 and the cleaning rod i eventually managed to remove the blockage (very carefully) it originally seamed rock hard but it turned out to be some kind of cloth soaked in grease that had been stuffed into the barrel from the receiver end, is this some kind of storage practice anyone is familiar with?

Soon though I will have a pretty cool functioning wall hanger (not sure ill risk shooting it) model 1869 that at some point was converted to 70 configuration. I should have taken some before pictures but hindsight is always 20-20.

bought a turkish mauser from someone whom thought it was mosin. The barrel right at the entry point form the back had a cloth shoved in it, i presume someone was cleaning the barrel and the barrel being longer then most cleaning kits didn't reach all the way through. I didn't have your luck and barrel still has pitting but i eliminated most active rust

bought a turkish mauser from someone whom thought it was mosin. The barrel right at the entry point form the back had a cloth shoved in it, i presume someone was cleaning the barrel and the barrel being longer then most cleaning kits didn't reach all the way through. I didn't have your luck and barrel still has pitting but i eliminated most active rust

I'm pretty sure the barrel will be pitted or at least not in great shape haven't cleaned it yet but I don't think it will have all the old dry grease like inside the receiver. I just removed the plug so far. Been cleaning slowly so not to ruin the patina (cool rust).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post up some pics of that old gal!
I was careful not to remove dirt just for the sake of it. Cleaned to restore functionaityl remove dust, old grease and powder residue other then that she will continue to show her age and is ready for another 100 years on a wall.
dakota port dakota port you pretty much nailed it with the reason for the cloth cog, the cleaning rod is the same length as the barrel but the clog was about cleaning rood deep minus someones grip on it :) some pitting in that area I think id still shoot a light load through her but since I'm not converting her to center-fire and I believe its close to impossible to find any of the old black powder rim-fire cartridges it will likely not see more rounds go through. surprising amount of blue still on her seeing that these early Vetterlis did not have good bluing in the first place.
IMG_0496.JPG
IMG_0497.JPG
IMG_0493.JPG
IMG_0494.JPG
IMG_0495.JPG

Back
Top Bottom