• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How is the milsurp market these days?

Picked up this 1918 BSA SMLE No1 Mk3* a couple of years ago and am finally giving it the attention it deserves.
The barreled action and floormetal/mag was refinished with black oxide even though the wood was still saturated in Cosmoline.

I've stripped the wood and need to give it the boiled linseed oil treatment. Since the barreled action was "ruined" with the black oxide (it originally would have been basically blued), I'm thinking of hitting the action, nose cap and barrel band with matte Durablue. I don't want to blast the black oxide off and potentially obliterate any markings, so I'm thinking I may just return it to its original look and be done with it.

What say the hive mind?

20191115_155142.jpg

Picked up this 1918 BSA SMLE No1 Mk3* a couple of years ago and am finally giving it the attention it deserves.
The barreled action and floormetal/mag was refinished with black oxide even though the wood was still saturated in Cosmoline.

I've stripped the wood and need to give it the boiled linseed oil treatment. Since the barreled action was "ruined" with the black oxide (it originally would have been basically blued), I'm thinking of hitting the action, nose cap and barrel band with matte Durablue. I don't want to blast the black oxide off and potentially obliterate any markings, so I'm thinking I may just return it to its original look and be done with it.

What say the hive mind?

View attachment 2375366

Looks nice

Back
Top Bottom