• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How is the milsurp market these days?

How are you guys all doing? Anyone still collecting / acquiring anything interesting...been a weird year. Prices are over inflated in the private market. Thank goodness for collector to collector pricing.

Pro tip. : buy direct from the CMP.

I've actually done pretty darn good this year and didn't spend any more than I would have in a non-inflated market. The only new buys were a Steyr Aug and a Fulton Armory M14 receiver. I did snag an M1D from CMP and bought a couple of drill rifles to finish up some quarantine projects. One of them was actually a 1903A4 receiver, so it looks like I'll have 1903 sniper rifles just about covered. The only one I'll be missing is one with a Warner-Swasey optic. The M1D is an absolute hammer and fun to shoot.

Speaking of M14 builds, I just wrapped this up a couple of weeks ago. It's an XM21 build with a real XM21 AR-TEL scope and mount. I had it built up to XM21 specs by Don Sanders, who apprenticed for a while under Hook Boutin and was building the GA Guard Match rifles for a while. Since this pic, it's been back to be bedded and has a Hawk fake selector in place. It's been built up using a Douglas Medium Weight barrel. Everything else is finessed GI parts.

50302017816_2472f5a0d6_b.jpg

L Lawdog734 that’s a nice XM 21 - how does she shoot?

She shoots better than I expected it to to be honest - with my generic M852 spec handloads (168SMK, 40.5grns of IMR4895), I'm getting a pretty solid 1MOA out of the rifle. Sometimes a little better - but not enough to bet a paycheck over and sometimes a little worse. I'd have to say that it's likely better than actual XM-21's given the better understanding of modern ballistics and handloads, though not truly developed for the rifle. I've just never held the M1/M14 accuracy in very high regard. For battle rifles, they're accurate but I have no illusions of a half-MOA M14. People will claim it all day long but won't put their money where there mouth is to prove it.

alleycat alleycat - I need 4! LOL

She shoots better than I expected it to to be honest - with my generic M852 spec handloads (168SMK, 40.5grns of IMR4895), I'm getting a pretty solid 1MOA out of the rifle. Sometimes a little better - but not enough to bet a paycheck over and sometimes a little worse. I'd have to say that it's likely better than actual XM-21's given the better understanding of modern ballistics and handloads, though not truly developed for the rifle. I've just never held the M1/M14 accuracy in very high regard. For battle rifles, they're accurate but I have no illusions of a half-MOA M14. People will claim it all day long but won't put their money where there mouth is to prove it.

alleycat alleycat - I need 4! LOL

pm me your address....

Not too many deals to be found right now. I picked up a bunch of rifles earlier this year but pickin's are kind of slim right now, even with surplus stuff.

Looks like you're on the same path as me. My barreled action should be in today with the scope blocks installed.

I ended up getting a Unertl 1.5" model that I got for a steal because I had to fix the reticle. I know the correct one is the 1.25" model, but I figure that while the Malcolm has the right diameter, this has the right length :)

I fixed the reticle myself - without a magnifying glass and it came out perfect. I also hope that I never have to do it again, lol.

50325904613_6364d9e056_b.jpg

Looks like you're on the same path as me. My barreled action should be in today with the scope blocks installed.

I ended up getting a Unertl 1.5" model that I got for a steal because I had to fix the reticle. I know the correct one is the 1.25" model, but I figure that while the Malcolm has the right diameter, this has the right length :)

I fixed the reticle myself - without a magnifying glass and it came out perfect. I also hope that I never have to do it again, lol.

50325904613_6364d9e056_b.jpg

thats sweet! It’s amazing that you repaired the reticle yourself

Back
Top Bottom