• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How many folks have started a garden this year?

What are ya'll planting?

Anyone grow broccoli? I love it, but don't know how it does around here.

I guess I'm gonna have to start canning. I planted two squash last year and couldn't keep up with them. Every day I'd pick four or five, and if I missed a day, I'd have a bunch that were too big/tough.

You should pot up a bunch of seeds this weekend and start them in the green house. Leave it closed at night and vent it on sunny days like today. The way the weather has been this year I wouldn't be afraid to plant seed outside this week end. If it gets cold the seed will just sit there but if this is it for winter you will have almost two months head start.

If it gets too hot, mix powdered lime with powdered milk to a paint consistency and paint your top panels. It wears well and will lower the temp in your greenhouse while providing diffused light. I had an auto fan on a thermostat to open the top vents to help control temps and a heater for winter use. Lots of new shade fabrics available as well which may be better than painting the panels.

What are ya'll planting?

Anyone grow broccoli? I love it, but don't know how it does around here.

I guess I'm gonna have to start canning. I planted two squash last year and couldn't keep up with them. Every day I'd pick four or five, and if I missed a day, I'd have a bunch that were too big/tough.

I've got some left in the winter garden. I had to pick 18 plants just before a hard freeze but now it's growing side shoots. The leaves make good greens too- like a mild collard. Those leaves and that of Brussel sprouts are excellent to supplement mustard, kale, and turnip greens.

OK... I see allot of bushcraft and tacticool stuff on here. How many folks have started a garden this year? My yard is tiny and this is not my zombie bunker location, but I try to garden a few small crops so I learn the tricks of the trade. How many folks actually understand how to grow things from seed to harvest? You won't be able to run to Lowes... Have you got what it takes to feed yourself once you run out of your 75 year shelf life food?

It would suck when archaeologists open my bunker in a hundred years, kick aside the empty Wise Food containers and find my bullet proof vest/carrier wrapped carcass laying next to my crates of ammunition, fighting and throwing knives, flashlight collection and figure out that I died of starvation after running out of ready made food.

I wish, I used the wood from (2) 100 feet Pines that were taken down off my property to set up a triangle HASTY POSITIONS, I had more land than I knew, I can house up to 15 people in a comfortable area, you can't see the area unless your right on top of it because of the land and foliage.

I had Brussels sprouts ,Broccoli , cauliflower Cabbage ,carrots growing all winter some of the cold weather lettuce , just planted this week about 5000 onions and a couple hundred red cabbage will be planting tomatoes in 2 or 3 weeks, All grown from seeds

I had Brussels sprouts ,Broccoli , cauliflower Cabbage ,carrots growing all winter some of the cold weather lettuce , just planted this week about 5000 onions and a couple hundred red cabbage will be planting tomatoes in 2 or 3 weeks, All grown from seeds
Broccoli?? Never planted it due to maturity time. May have to sneak over and get some later!:becky:

Back
Top Bottom