• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How many folks have started a garden this year?

were planting more this week I will let you know when it is big enough to eat , im having a minor wabbit problem but I about have it taken care of
How in the hell can Da wabbits jump up to the hydro's that far? Might be time to do some Wabbit trap shooting! I do love them with dumplin's!

I plant a winter and summer garden each year. I've grown many plants from seed and did so for many years when I had a cold frame and a greenhouse. Now, I just buy necessary transplants from Lowes, with the remaining plants grown from seed. My garden is 24' X 16' and produces more than I need which my neighbors enjoy. I am careful with lime and fertilizer and collect soil samples for the local Extension Service to send to UGA for nutrient analyses. Compost and soil amendments are good but moderation is key. If you had to rely on seed produced from your garden, be aware that they need to be dried well before storage or they will mold and you'll have nothing for the next season.

As one of my preps, I do have rotating stores of vegetable seed should this country receive an EMP or other disabling disaster. Studying horticultural methods was a hobby for many years. Might be a good idea to invest in an edible plants book if you truly had to live off of the land. I'm no Euell Gibbons but after reviewing many, I bought Nature's Garden, A Guide to Identifying, Harvesting, and Preparing Edible Wild Plants written by Samuel Thayer. It's not a field guide but goes into more detail so you can correctly identify a plant that won't hurt or kill you. The book has lots of photos and helps to distinguish look-alikes from what should be consumed. Be aware that consuming wild plants is only a last resort.
Great comments and good advice. I bought a book on edibles. I take it with me when I go scout for hunting.

You should pot up a bunch of seeds this weekend and start them in the green house. Leave it closed at night and vent it on sunny days like today. The way the weather has been this year I wouldn't be afraid to plant seed outside this week end. If it gets cold the seed will just sit there but if this is it for winter you will have almost two months head start.
Good comment. I am starting some seed this weekend too. I did put out my peas, but will watch the weather in case I need to cover them from frost. I had to put them out. I started them indoors and they were being aggressive to the smaller seedlings. If they were a dog, I would have whacked them with a news paper.

What are ya'll planting?

Anyone grow broccoli? I love it, but don't know how it does around here.

I guess I'm gonna have to start canning. I planted two squash last year and couldn't keep up with them. Every day I'd pick four or five, and if I missed a day, I'd have a bunch that were too big/tough.
I'm doing plum tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, green peppers and various herbs. I'm gonna try on strawberries this year. I am also trying potatoes for the first time. I tried cabbage and brussels sprouts this winter. The cabbage was a little slow. I will try again once summer starts to cool. The brussels sprouts were a wash. I did well with kale and lettuce over the winter. The lettuce died in the last frost. too bad. it was great.

Since I have a small yard, I am using vertical farming methods. I wanted to experiment with it, since I will use it when I do a green house at our next house. I will take some pics tomorrow and post them. Those with green houses may find them useful.

Planted 50 pecan trees, 10 pear, 12 apple, and 8 peach. Planted 10 blueberry bushes, 10 blackberry, and muscodine grapes. I tilled the 2 gardens getting ready to plant. One is 70x200, the other is 60x100. We plant several varieties of tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, squash, zuccini, rattlesnake green beans, butter beans, blackeyed peas and eggplant. We can a bunch, fill 2 freezers and sell some. We usually start everything from seed, but havent this year. I will start some tomatoes soon to have a later crop. We will be buying some plants from the local nursery.

Will be the first time in many years I will not plant anything. Sold my Troybilt tiller last summer as my back can't deal with it any more. Still debating about buying a tractor mounted tiller. Really will miss tomatoes. Just not able to keep up with a garden now.
Always had to have an electric fence to keep deer, raccoons and rabbits out.
They still get a lot of my muscadines as well as pears too.

Tomato, jalapeno, cucumbers for pickling, and purple hull peas for me usually... I may venture out from purple hulls this year. Not sure yet. I won't plant before April 15 sometimes as late as mothers day.

Back
Top Bottom