• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How many folks have started a garden this year?

I've never done a 'victory garden' but generally plant something. My primary spot has now gotten shaded in over the years courtesy of neighbor's trees so I gave up and tried planting in boxes last year. Bust. Not sure what I'll attempt this year. I'd LOVE to have a greenhouse.
I'm more into trees. Sad thing is with winter returning and hard freezes this week, we're going to lose a LOT of soft mast. :sad:

Planted 50 pecan trees, 10 pear, 12 apple, and 8 peach. Planted 10 blueberry bushes, 10 blackberry, and muscodine grapes. I tilled the 2 gardens getting ready to plant. One is 70x200, the other is 60x100. We plant several varieties of tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, squash, zuccini, rattlesnake green beans, butter beans, blackeyed peas and eggplant. We can a bunch, fill 2 freezers and sell some. We usually start everything from seed, but havent this year. I will start some tomatoes soon to have a later crop. We will be buying some plants from the local nursery.
Your post makes me wanna get moved onto my land...

Your post makes me wanna get moved onto my land...

I need to come help you so I can learn how to preserve the bounty these gardens produce. I'd grow more, but I have never canned or pickled anything. To much city upbringing.

IMG_0403.JPG

Just finished clearing a 60x40 area for another garden. Got the stumps and big roots out but need to get the fence up and another turn in before planting. I usually plant corn, green beans, tomatoes, potatoes, okra, squash, zucchini, spinach and collards. Do a lot of canning in the summer to have homegrown grub all year long.

Started jalapeño seeds, 2 types of watermelon seeds, cantaloupe seeds, banana pepper seeds, and cucumber seeds. Currently in the garage under heat lights. Also got tomato plants, bibb lettuce and dragon pepper plants. First time trying seed sprouting.

I'm usually safe with the easy stuff, like tomatoes, squash, zuch and jalapenos. But that's as ambitious as I get. Got kinda side tracked last year trying to use the "Back to Eden" gardening method. (No fertilizer, lime etc. Just wood chips allowed to compost for about a year." Didn't work so well for me but maybe the wood chips hadn't composted enough. Composted wood chips are supposed to naturally release nitrogen into the soil.

Or I may just cheat and use the fertilizer.

Back
Top Bottom