• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

How many of your can hold 1 MOA from your typical shooting position while hunting?

SOLGardener

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
57   0
Reaction score
Since so many spec'd <1MOA requirement on their hunting rifle, I wonder how many can realize it firing off hand, or slinged up, or leaning against the tree.

Nope. Not me. Not even close. The guns that give me 0.8" groups at 100 yards from double-end sandbag rests give me 2" groups from an improvised field rest or bipod, 4" from prone, and 5" or 6" from the sitting position. Standing up leaning against a tree can be about that good--- 5" or 6" at 100 yds.
Standing unsupported, aiming the rifle with just my hands and shoulder and cheek on it, I'm probably in the 10" at 100 yard category.
Keep in mind that's 10" from the 2 holes farthest apart on the target. Usually the majority of the shots are much closer to the center.

Most deer hunters.... (not most active chatters on gun and hunting sites like this)... could probably not hit an 8" wide paper plate shooting from the unsupported standing position at 100 yards. One shot, cold bore. Most would miss. Maybe after taking 3 shots they'd hit it once. That's my bet and prediction. I don't know how we'd ever prove it. But it's based on what I see when I shoot at public WMA outdoor ranges.

Not even close.
Leaning against a tree or other solid rest I'm very confident and with a sub MOA rifle I'd be confident with TIME (which we seldom have during hunting) I could be within 2" of POA.
I've never taken and would never take a free hand shot at a deer. Heck I won't even shoot at them if they are moving. If I can't stop them, they get to keep on keeping on. Perhaps if I'm starving one day I'll be a little less selective.

Most deer hunters.... (not most active chatters on gun and hunting sites like this)... could probably not hit an 8" wide paper plate shooting from the unsupported standing position at 100 yards. One shot, cold bore. Most would miss. Maybe after taking 3 shots they'd hit it once. That's my bet and prediction. I don't know how we'd ever prove it. But it's based on what I see when I shoot at public WMA outdoor ranges.
THANK YOU!!!!!!

I shoot a rifle with some type of rest when hunting, no freehand, I shoot a single shot so I make sure of all being still when I squeeze. A shotgun is a different story..

Back
Top Bottom