How much are you reloading 5.56 for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eastwood

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
222   0
Reaction score
I know nothing about reloading and don’t currently plan to learn about it either. For those who do reload I have one simple question. What is your average cost per round right now to reload 5.56?

Assuming you already have all the necessary tooling/equipment and you only factor the cost of brass, primer, power and projectile.

I’m honestly just curious how it compares to the current prices of factory loads. Thanks.

I know nothing about reloading and don’t currently plan to learn about it either. For those who do reload I have one simple question. What is your average cost per round right now to reload 5.56?

Assuming you already have all the necessary tooling/equipment and you only factor the cost of brass, primer, power and projectile.

I’m honestly just curious how it compares to the current prices of factory loads. Thanks.
It makes a significant difference whether the reloader has components bought during "normal" times or if components or being bought at current prices.

Current prices are approximately as follows:

Once-fired fully processed brass = 17 cents
Small rifle primers = 8 cents
Powder = 20 cent
Cheap bulk projectiles = 12 cents
Total cost = 57 cents per round
Of course, if one chose brand new Lapua brass and match-grade projectiles, the cost would be much higher.

Due to reusing brass I've loaded several times and owning components I bought during the good times, my cost is approximately 25 cents per round.

Costs me about 16 cents per round for 55 grain ball and 29 cents per round for 77 gr BTHP. I have about 20,000 pieces of brass plus or minus as it's essentially free. There is always a ton of it laying about at the range except during times of extreme neckbeard panics.

Costs me about 16 cents per round for 55 grain ball and 29 cents per round for 77 gr BTHP. I have about 20,000 pieces of brass plus or minus as it's essentially free. There is always a ton of it laying about at the range except during times of extreme neckbeard panics.

So 16 cent per round is based on free brass plus other components you already acquired in the past and not at current prices?

So 16 cent per round is based on free brass plus other components you already acquired in the past and not at current prices?
Correct. I do not have a secret supplier of components heppin' a brutha out on the ODT. These were all purchased after the Pulse nightclub shooting where the cops' bullets hit most of the victims.

Thanks. So based on what I’m gathering, if one was to source components starting today it would cost north of 50 cents a round to load. And I’m aware that’s not factoring the cost of any equipment at all.

Thanks. I’m aware of that. I’m not interested in reloading at all. Simply looking for cost comparison for what it costs right now to reload versus buying ammo off the shelf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom