• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How much are you reloading 5.56 for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can get components cheaper in bulk. I am sure you know that.
Hornady 55gr fmj 6000 will run around 10.50 per k
Primers can be found for $10.00 per k or less
Brass, I was selling it for $100.00 per k processed when I had it. You can still find it for less than $10.00 per hundred if you shop around
Powder is a different story today. Probably going to run at least $45 per pound. So figure on about $0.15 per round.
So it you are looking at $45 to $50 per hundred to reload at today's cost

You can get components cheaper in bulk. I am sure you know that.
Hornady 55gr fmj 6000 will run around 10.50 per k
Primers can be found for $10.00 per k or less
Brass, I was selling it for $100.00 per k processed when I had it. You can still find it for less than $10.00 per hundred if you shop around
Powder is a different story today. Probably going to run at least $45 per pound. So figure on about $0.15 per round.
So it you are looking at $45 to $50 per hundred to reload at today's cost

Great info, this is what I was looking for. Thank you

Back @ 40yrs ago when I started loading, you could save some money. Especially shooting big bore. Now days, it's limited. The difference is the quality of the ammo. If all you want is something that goes bang with 2" or better groups at 100yds, factory ammo is fine. If you have a custom built weapon, to get the most out of it would be to load. Then you can shoot one hole groups at 100yds. And keep inside the size of dime at 300yds. Having the knowledge and skill to load is a plus, but it ain't cheap. Especially to get started. These days it's even more expensive. Back when I started, it paid for its self pretty quick. I think my start up was @ $400. Now days, probably north of $1000

For me reloading is less about cost savings and more about custom loads and never "feeling" shortages. That's not to say there are no cost savings. For example, my cost to load match grade .338LM using long-owned components is $1.07 per round. That certainly beats retail of $5.00 per! I'm also realizing significant savings, albeit to a lesser degree, when loading match grade .308Win and .450 Bushmaster.

But reloading bulk .223 or 9mm Luger is not a way to save money at today's cost of components.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom