How much per sq feet can you build a new house for? UPDATED 7/2/18

A lot depends on the finishes you want
..Cherry cabinets?..Tile floors/tubs?..Granite countertops?..Vaulted ceilings?..Fireplace?..
A lot of different options and $$$
I guess I need to be more specific lol
I know exactly what I want in my head but I guess I need to put it on paper and get quotes

I built a couple of rental houses for $70 a square foot 10 years ago but I had to fire my contractors and finish them myself and I wouldn’t live in them.

If you can build for under $120 you’ll be doing well.

I built a couple of rental houses for $70 a square foot 10 years ago but I had to fire my contractors and finish them myself and I wouldn’t live in them.

If you can build for under $120 you’ll be doing well.
no kidding - and is that for a very nice house?
because i live in a VERY nice new home right now that i had built for about 98$ a square foot in a neighborhood (built this year)
and i got the 30 year roof, giant granite countertops, marble in the bathrooms, expensive tile, frameless glass shower, big garden bath tub, nice trim, etc....

the reason i want to move is because i want a smaller house with a smaller payment

Are you going to build it, like with a hammer, or with a check book?

I did an 1800sf, 2 story house with my wife and myself as the labor crew. I did contract the foundation, septic system and HVAC, but did everything else between the 2 of us. Total price per sqft was under $24, and we kept meticulous records.

Are you going to build it, like with a hammer, or with a check book?

I did an 1800sf, 2 story house with my wife and myself as the labor crew. I did contract the foundation, septic system and HVAC, but did everything else between the 2 of us. Total price per sqft was under $24, and we kept meticulous records.
i am many things but handy is not even near one of them... i would love to do the work myself but the job would be slop

- very cool you built a house for 24$ a SQFT - impressive

no kidding - and is that for a very nice house?
because i live in a VERY nice new home right now that i had built for about 98$ a square foot in a neighborhood (built this year)
and i got the 30 year roof, giant granite countertops, marble in the bathrooms, expensive tile, frameless glass shower, big garden bath tub, nice trim, etc....

the reason i want to move is because i want a smaller house with a smaller payment

Did you build or did you have the builder building the neighborhood build? 2 different things. A builder building a neighborhood buys in bulk because he is doing many similar floorplans and gets a price break. If you are hiring a contractor to do 1 house it'll cost you between 120-150 a sqft. And extra for nice touches. And you will have to pay cash for the land and then finance the house unless you are paying for the whole thing in cash.

Back
Top Bottom