• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

How much per sq feet can you build a new house for? UPDATED 7/2/18

Most anyone building a house has to pick and choose where they want to put the extras. A couple suggestions are the kitchen cabinets and garage doors. Pull out shelves in kitchen cabinets, for example, come in handy. Also, insulated garage doors, in my opinion, are worth the expense.

Most anyone building a house has to pick and choose where they want to put the extras. A couple suggestions are the kitchen cabinets and garage doors. Pull out shelves in kitchen cabinets, for example, come in handy. Also, insulated garage doors, in my opinion, are worth the expense.
Why are the insulated garage doors worth the expense? Just curious

Why are the insulated garage doors worth the expense? Just curious

To me, they are worth it because my garage never gets super hot or cold. This helps keep any adjacent rooms the temperature you want. For example, my bedroom and the garage share a wall. The added expense wasn't very much. They also look better and have a much cleaner look. It wouldn't be at the top of my list, but it's something people probably don't think about much. I suppose the smart places to focus extra money would be kitchen and bathrooms. I never claimed to be smart though.

If you plan to be there for a while, spend money now in insulation. I put in 2 x 6 walls and spray foam insulation. It was cheaper to spray foam 2 x 6 walls than 2 x 4 walls because when the foam expands it doesn't protrude outside of the 6" space and they don't have to shave it down and clean it up. My electric bills are insane - last month was about $180, house is 4500 sq ft, both AC units set at 75, a 19,000 gallon inground pool, 2 dishwashers, 4 refrigerators and all five of us are here 24/7. Hot water is gas. Go with spray foam if you can bite the bullet.

To me, they are worth it because my garage never gets super hot or cold. This helps keep any adjacent rooms the temperature you want. For example, my bedroom and the garage share a wall. The added expense wasn't very much. They also look better and have a much cleaner look. It wouldn't be at the top of my list, but it's something people probably don't think about much. I suppose the smart places to focus extra money would be kitchen and bathrooms. I never claimed to be smart though.

I agree with you about an insulated garage door. I also made sure all of my bedrooms and bathrooms had solid core doors. It really cuts down on the noise and they honestly are not much more money.

Reactions: GFB
If you plan to be there for a while, spend money now in insulation. I put in 2 x 6 walls and spray foam insulation. It was cheaper to spray foam 2 x 6 walls than 2 x 4 walls because when the foam expands it doesn't protrude outside of the 6" space and they don't have to shave it down and clean it up. My electric bills are insane - last month was about $180, house is 4500 sq ft, both AC units set at 75, a 19,000 gallon inground pool, 2 dishwashers, 4 refrigerators and all five of us are here 24/7. Hot water is gas. Go with spray foam if you can bite the bullet.

We are looking at buying an old house that my great grandfather built around 1900. It definately needs to be insulated and I am interested in the foam.

About how much per sq ft did this cost?

If you already own the land, do most of the work yourself, keep it simple, you could get out for @$75 a square foot to the sky is the limit. It's cheaper to build on level ground and a crawl space. It depends on what you want.

UPDATE: he seems to think that 100$ PER SQFT is very doable (possibly lower) ..this isnt going to be an insanely fancy build though on the inside like my current home is... finishings will be pretty basic.. but i will be able to pay it off very quickly and live debt free by hopefully 30-32 and can upgrade it then.

basic means butcher block counter tops, vinyl flooring, gravel driveway, basic trim, not custom cabinets, painting the interior and exterior yourself, etc...

he does commercial real estate (much more difficult ) but he built his current 5 bedroom 3 bath house for 50$ per SQ FT and it is actually very nice.. and he is 30 years old and it is PAID for.

you'd be surprised how cheap you can honestly do some of this stuff. i went a different route and bought a house that needed a complete redo but i found most things to be pretty reasonable. Would check floor and decor in buford if you can as they always have flooring they will clearance out super cheap and keep your eyes open for folks getting rid of spare materials from other builds and even some used items from houses that have been refurnished. One example for my kitchen i needed a complete cabinet set and the cheapest crappiest new stuff i could find was going to be around 1500-2000 for everything, after a week of searching i found a local man who had just redid his VERY nice home and put new cabinets in and just wanted his old ones gone, so i got a full kitchens worth of solid real wood oak cabinets and trim pieces for 300 bucks

Thanks everyone. This was quite an education and will be very helpful as we decide to move and build or buy next year. Looking at Bartow and Huntsville , AL a great town and Rocket City to boot!!!

Back
Top Bottom