• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How much to tip fishing charter captain?

Apologies in advance, but this is a sore spot for me. Tips are for waiters and waitresses being paid less than minimum wage. Full stop. "Tipping" is a federally appointed subsidy on the restaurant industry and every single time I leave a tip it pisses me off. There's nothing "honorable" about it. The Federal Government has agreed to pay these poor people less than minimum wage and is expecting you to make up the difference.

My wife tips the lady that cuts her hair...it drives me nuts. If you don't wait tables, you shouldn't get a tip.

You don't have to tip but if you pay to clean your fish at the market, you pay be the pound and balieve me it's very expensive to have them cleaned. If you catch 350 to 450 lbs.

I’ve only been out on Lanier with a striper guide. Took my boys then my grandson. All 3 trip were great and he was great with kids. Gave him extra $50. Well worth it.

Agreed. I would think the captain's are the boat owners, in most cases.
Not around here. There are lots of companies that own 3-5 boats and hire the captains to man them. Also, on smaller charters, the captain is the deckhand, and he spends a lot of time prepping for the charter. Before he has to double check everything on the boat, rig everything, catch bait, etc. After, there's a lot of cleaning and paperwork. In SC, charters have to fill out a form with location and account for what was caught/thrown back.
If it's just one man running everything, I'd say 50-100 for a 5 hour.

This is a one man show, center console boat. Captain and deck hand are the same dude. I'm prob going to throw $20 for each of us - $60 if the trip goes well.
Normally tip the mate/deckhand $100 or 20%, whichever is greater, for cleaning the catch.

No deckhand, and a good time was had? Leave the Captain a $50 if you’re happy, and maybe some fish. And a solid Google review.

Back
Top Bottom