• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How the heck does changing out your grips cause your 1911 to jam?

SchmittZoid

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery
282   0
Reaction score
So, I changed out the grips on my SA 9mm from a set of Pachymar finger groove grips to a set of blue/black magwell bottom G10's.

Springfield 9mm - 001.JPG

In the process, I also changed out the SA arched ILS mainspring housing to an S&A arched magwell.
Immediately, the gun went from a buttery smooth cycling pattern to getting hung up with extremely gritty slide action.

The slide would actually hang up returning to battery as seen below.

20190805_123045.jpg

For a minute, I thought that I must have damaged something or got some kind of metal filings or debris between the slide and the frame. I got all frustrated, and changed everything back to how it was before I started. The buttery smooth cycling returned.

This drove me nuts for two or three days. I've never had an instance where changing out grips or a MSH caused any type of malfunctions. Putting the grips on, they were a little tight against the magwell, but that was all I noticed.

Investigating a little further, I saw that the G10 grips were touching the extended slide release on this gun. Touching enough to put sufficient upward pressure on the slide stop to make it drag across the bottom edge of the slide.

upload_2019-8-7_17-57-59.png

upload_2019-8-7_17-58-57.png

Here is the contact mark from the slide stop when I took off the grips.

upload_2019-8-7_17-59-26.png

So, out comes the needle files and abrasive stones. Create a little relief where the slide stop comes to rest.

upload_2019-8-7_18-0-7.png

Now the slide stop drops enough to clear the bottom of the slide.

upload_2019-8-7_18-1-5.png

Thought I would share. Anyone else experience this?

Drove me nuts for a day or two until I got enough time to figure it out.

Z

Good catch. Just goes to show that even a minor change can have an unexpected negative effect. Always shoot’em after you change anything so you don’t find out something is wrong when you really need it.

I have done the exact same thing before, but not 2 to 3 days wondering...You have to watch those extended parts, they need a little more wiggle room....

I have done the exact same thing before, but not 2 to 3 days wondering...You have to watch those extended parts, they need a little more wiggle room....

Yeah, between work and family, I don't get a lot of continual time for investigation. I put it together, ran into the snafu, then put it away.

Next day change back to original parts, problem goes away. Put it up, next day change back the MSH only . . . . no problem.

Something that would take you fifteen minutes takes me a week . . . . .

Sad story actually . . .

Back
Top Bottom