• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How to dispose of a house from the 1850's

harrycalahan

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
116   0
Reaction score
My grandmother still lives on the old family farm which still has my great grandmothers vacant house on the property. My grandmother will be moving to assisted living at some point in the future when we're able to talk her into it. I've mentioned being interested in harvesting some of the pine and hardwood from the house if it were ever demolished. We know the exterior has asbestos shingle siding and there will obviously be lead paint. Knowing this, what are our real options for disposing of the house properly (but w/o notifying gov agencies if possible)? The house sits 100 ft off a main hwy so it will be obvious when something is done to it. I'm guessing the fire dept won't do a practice burn with the siding. Anybody dealt with this? Or......should someone accidentally stuff newspaper into the fuse box? :rolleyes:

If you "didnt know" about the asbestos, you could strip it yourself.
I've thought about doing this. If I ordered a 30yd dumpster, can the shingles be taken directly to the landfill? I don't know of any other way they could dispose of it. And I've never had the dumpster company ask about the contents other than saying "no household garbage" when I've ordered them before.

I've thought about doing this. If I ordered a 30yd dumpster, can the shingles be taken directly to the landfill? I don't know of any other way they could dispose of it. And I've never had the dumpster company ask about the contents other than saying "no household garbage" when I've ordered them before.
Contractor trash bags and a roll off. They dont know what's in them and won't even bother to ask or look .

Back
Top Bottom