• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How-to question for installing old iron hitching post in the ground

Just1more

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Retired
220   0
Reaction score
Bought these recently. Wanting to place 2 of them on either side of my driveway entrance and connect them with chain. They all have a small iron rod coming out the bottom about 3”-4” long. I was thinking about welding a piece of pipe over the rod and burying the pipe in cement. Any other thoughts?

IMG_5904.jpeg

maybe 4 cheap dishpans filled with sackreet and imbed the 'base' of each into each pan? with the little rod on there it would be stable enough.
not at my house though because the fire dept and trash truck turn around in my drive and constantly destroy plants, sprinkler heads and culvert end by not being able to back up very well.

maybe 4 cheap dishpans filled with sackreet and imbed the 'base' of each into each pan? with the little rod on there it would be stable enough.
not at my house though because the fire dept and trash truck turn around in my drive and constantly destroy plants, sprinkler heads and culvert end by not being able to back up very well.
lol. It’s for a second drive that’s constantly being mistaken for a public gravel road. But good idea on the pans. They will definitely have to be buried some sort of way because they are about 35lbs each.

I like the idea of extending the bottom. I'd extend the bottom 18-24" of some type of steel. Also include 2 horizontal pieces in the shape of a cross on the top and the bottom of that shaft. Take a post hole digger, manual or machined, and dig a hole deep enough so that the base is even at ground level. Pour about 6" of Sakrete in the bottom of the hole. Then put dirt in the hole to about 6" below ground level. Pack dirt as you go and check to keep post plumb as well. Pour Sakrete to finish off the top. You don't even have to mix water with it, just pour it in dry. It will set up on its own in a couple days. When it has set up, install your chain and you're good to go. And it'll be solid too

if those are cast iron extra effort will be required for welding
The rod sticking out of the bottom is solid iron. I welded two small 1/4 steel rod pieces to each and then slid some black iron pieces over the end. I drilled a few 5/16” holes in the pipe so I could get a good bead to the rod. I think it will work fine. And I also added a base to each one left over from a previous project.

IMG_5932.jpeg

The rod sticking out of the bottom is solid iron. I welded two small 1/4 steel rod pieces to each and then slid some black iron pieces over the end. I drilled a few 5/16” holes in the pipe so I could get a good bead to the rod. I think it will work fine. And I also added a base to each one left over from a previous project.

looks good, great job

Back
Top Bottom