• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hunter Education Requirements are BS!!!

Is this a club requirement? I know at a cutoff date of birth they are required to get a license in most states. If you hunt at Ft Stewart they required it at any age.
I took the course about 6 times in PA when I was active with the boys scouts. When I moved here in GA I took it again at the DNR on Dawsonville Hwy in Gainesville. As another poster said it's available on CD as well.

Barney Ruble and Biker13 were classmates............

Update... I decided just to show up at a class and see if they would let me sit in. It wasn't a problem and there were several people who did the same thing. I was worried I was gonna drive an hour there and they wouldn't let me sit in because I didn't pre-register. Seemed like walk ins were common but did hear the classes held at Bass Pro wouldn't allow it.

Update... I decided just to show up at a class and see if they would let me sit in. It wasn't a problem and there were several people who did the same thing. I was worried I was gonna drive an hour there and they wouldn't let me sit in because I didn't pre-register. Seemed like walk ins were common but did hear the classes held at Bass Pro wouldn't allow it.
Walk ins are very common. Glad you got it figured out. This does highlight a problem though, there are, IMHO an insufficient number of classes available around the state. I tried my darndest to volunteer to be an instructor and and after multiple attempts finally received and filled out all the paper work, went to a class to shadow the instructor and then when I went to the first class I was supposed to help teach, there was at least one other guy there who was also a volunteer (along with the agent/instructor). Only 3 people showed up so he cancelled the class. Never heard back. While I pity what they are trying to do with such limited staff, they are really not that well organized unfortunately (though some recent changs have been made). They are trying to move it more and more online which while it certainly helps with convenience, I'm not so sure that's the best tact if the goal is REALLY safety. Like you I was annoyed when I moved here as an adult with a lifetime of hunting under my belt and was made to take a safety course (two day weekend back then) but it was certainly worthwhile if only for a refresher and reminder.
Enjoy your new club!

It cost me $25 to get an annual hunting license in AK. Moose tag was free, no Hunter Ed BS. $40 for hunting/fishing/trapping license. No clubs to join. I have deer on MY property in GA. I could not find a Hunter Ed class in my neck of the woods, so I get to sit home this year and hope that someone down the street does not get my deer :-(

Back
Top Bottom