• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hunting rifle set ups

Somebody mentioned .270 win upthread.
My hunting bud last 2 seasons has been running a family gun, Parker Hale w old school Leupold 2-7X w their version of German reticle.

.35 rem is a boom and not roar. Feels like a 20 ga 870 dimension wise.
Repeats w trigger hand not moving.
It is a magic wand in the deer woods.
Think under 150 yards it's ideal.
First deer with it.............in the thicket shot on the run. I saw a hole he was gonna cross and he did.
Was running away from me and I was in a 25 ft stand.
He had bedded in sycamore blow down (suspected as my bud saw him from our other stand).
So he got down and wind bumped him.
I saw an ear, 75 yards away (squirrel tail that didn't look right) and up he popped, and came over to my side of creek, looking to vacate the 20 acre thicket in rapid fashion.
No sir, he didn't make it ;)
DSC04010 (2).JPG

Wanted the Grice run 7600 synth in .35 rem. Pushing a K used on GB.
Buddy was with me when I whacked two diff deer w the TC .35 rem and he bought three used old style 760s. This one had .35 rem marked mag, but wouldn't run. Dims off on mag (dropped?), I got it back to proper and it runs great.

Cheap Leupold Rifleman rings worked fine, but looked crappy plus scope is back as far as can be without base mod, so I cheated and put Burris Zee rings on it (narrower, moves scope back just a tiny bit more). Looks better.

Now the question is..........760, Steyr PH or the pretty 280 rem (or my dad's Ruger .44 auto -minty '66 fingergroove)?

One buck state, watch me buck out w the bow.

This was going to be my piney slayer..........but it just wouldn't shoot.
Could have sent bolt and bbl to CPC for rework, but tossing $200 more onto a beater......it would still have been a beater. But man oh man, I do love the look and feel of a sporter 10/22.
Still would like one to match my dad's '66 minty .44 mag.
But don't really shoot targets anymore, so am content with my CZ455 (stupid safety LOL).

68983188_122859339035185_1797025303172743168_n.jpg

Now I did have a good shooting 1022 that all it needed was a Volq hammer.
Now that I have the #1 from '67..............kinda wish I'd kept this 10/22 from '67 (actually had the sporter and a standard from that yr at same time)

But being factory checkered, they kinda collectible and it went bye bye. Not perfect but too nice for me to hunt with.

67 sporter.jpg

I like wood, for feel and looks. But dinging them up just p*sses me off.
Better for me to buy used, already dinged up. A few more little ones just adds to the character.
Kind of a detail freak, borderline OCD? Most of my stuff is plastic and I dig it.
Had nice looking rigs, babied em. My 1100 Magnum looked mint after a decade of hunting ducks, dove and turkey.
Taping it up for turkey sucked. And I was always watchful when crawling around w it.

I now have an 1100 SP that had finish issues. Bought cheap. Gunkoted receiver, diff bbl. Plastic stock.
It is soooooo nice to not give a flip and just hunt. Same for my 870. Had a pair of minty RKW Remchoke models back when Big Green put out some rather nice stuff.

Nowadays, I run an Express Supermag, got it used all taped up (nasty) for $215.
Was like new under all that tape.

My 700 wears factory plastic, swapped my CZ455 to plastic after it got two small dings in the gun safe.
The Steyr is plastic.
Only the 760 (dinged up) and the #1 wear wood. The #1 was bought at reg 1B price, and I knew it was worth more than I paid. So w that wood, said screw it and took it home. If it doesn't shoot it goes bye bye (collector). Not mint, but still worth a fair bit more than I paid.

Need to mod the rear offset ring for scope turret clearance. Scoping #1's is such a PITA. Newer scopes have shorter tube lengths. And my being half gimped, can't stretch my neck.

Hence the search for a solution.........as found in a thread elsewhere on this site. The EGW pic rail.
Unfortunately for this rifle, being older and collectible, it will stay in factory form.
However, if I build a custom .35 rem #1................EGW baby.

My BP gun was a TC Hawken Silver Elite.
Think they made 500 of them (read somewhere).
Most temperamental muzzleloader I ever had (hate QLA ).
I'm older and more cranky now, said screw BP and gave the gun to my dad (he thought it pretty too).
If I see a bruiser and don't get him in reg gun, might borrow the Hawken SE from my dad (although he'll proly say take the Encore Pro Hunter he has).

The Hawken beats my cheek like no other. Had Renegades, New Englanders, buddy had a Hawken, and I also tried Knight in lines. They were all good shooting, no hassle and no face bashing.

My Hawken SE is a SOB.

This turd going to the range tomorrow.
Initial test showed perfect function, and it shot like crap.
Reg M4 w long XM177 style flash.
Makes it look kinda like STG58 :)
16" bbl now out to 20 plus...............was less blast from the bench.
Popped it apart and retorqued bbl, see if that helps.
Supposed to be my winter yote rig.

if it sucks, already have another bbl.........M4 Socom profile. From a better maker. Not premium, but better than the avg (supposedly).
I just want Hornady V max at an inch or better at 100. That is good enough for Wile E. as my hunting spots under 300 yards.

yote 3-9x (1).jpg

Looks like an American predator in 308
KIMG1929.JPG
with 1x8 or my go to Winchester 100 with a 2.8x10. Have to put some lower rings on it. Really like to take one with my paps 1943 8mm Mauser

I haven't hunted with a 270 for years. Last time I did you could buy the Winchester Silvertip bullets in the white and orange box. Obviously you can't find those anymore. I recently picked up a Ruger 270 that I'm looking to put into service this Fall. What are your favorite ammo for the 270? I have a good bit of core lokt 150 grains but was wondering what you folks use... MRH MRH ?

Trying to mimic Winchester Supreme 140grain Accubonds is what got me into reloading: they just plain shot well in my .270 & caused immediate expiration on da deers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

.35 rem is a boom and not roar. Feels like a 20 ga 870 dimension wise.
Repeats w trigger hand not moving.
It is a magic wand in the deer woods.
Think under 150 yards it's ideal.
First deer with it.............in the thicket shot on the run. I saw a hole he was gonna cross and he did.
Was running away from me and I was in a 25 ft stand.
He had bedded in sycamore blow down (suspected as my bud saw him from our other stand).
So he got down and wind bumped him.
I saw an ear, 75 yards away (squirrel tail that didn't look right) and up he popped, and came over to my side of creek, looking to vacate the 20 acre thicket in rapid fashion.
No sir, he didn't make it ;)
View attachment 2769451

Wanted the Grice run 7600 synth in .35 rem. Pushing a K used on GB.
Buddy was with me when I whacked two diff deer w the TC .35 rem and he bought three used old style 760s. This one had .35 rem marked mag, but wouldn't run. Dims off on mag (dropped?), I got it back to proper and it runs great.

Cheap Leupold Rifleman rings worked fine, but looked crappy plus scope is back as far as can be without base mod, so I cheated and put Burris Zee rings on it (narrower, moves scope back just a tiny bit more). Looks better.

Now the question is..........760, Steyr PH or the pretty 280 rem (or my dad's Ruger .44 auto -minty '66 fingergroove)?

One buck state, watch me buck out w the bow.

Up here in Canada right now & those 760/7600s in 35 Whelen are the preferred bush rifle for Moose hunting. They Love Them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Remington 78 in '06
Remington 721 in '06
Remington 722 in 300 Savage
Home made 257 Roberts on a Mark X action and Claro Walnut I whittled down
Remington VTR in 308
Winchester Hi Wall in 45/70
Which one depends on my mood at the moment.

Attachments

• Rem 78 L.JPG
    Rem 78 L.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Remington 721 L.jpg
    Remington 721 L.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Remington 722.JPG
    Remington 722.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Roberts L.JPG
    Roberts L.JPG