• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hunting secondary sidearm?

You must be very weight conscious if you have to choose between a flashlight and a handgun. Lol.

Seriously though, i don't think most people carry a handgun in the woods for SD. I carry mine because, if the opportunity presents itself, I will take a big game animal with the handgun. I will also carry it when small game hunting in case big game happens by. I will also occasionally carry a .22 handgun when big game hunting. Especially if I'm in an area that has Fox Squirrels.
This is the reason. I have taken deer and small game when possible. I have hunted
with handgun only many times but I just about always have one no matter what else I might carry. I plan on going back to handgun as my primary for most of my hunting this year.

Blued Taurus 44 magnum in bear country.
Sig p226 when not.

Iron sights both.

The 44 is a pleasure to shoot and very accurate.
The Sig is pretty much on me always regardless.

Glock 26, either IWB, or OWB, and occasionally a G17 OWB. I’ve killed and finished off several pigs and deer with it. At 15 feet Hornady Critical Defense will almost penetrate completely through a deer chest.

I learned a long time ago if I carry a rifle and a pistol I'll use the rifle first every time and the pistols just extra weight so if I'm gonna hunt with the pistol I leave the rifle at home and vice versa.

Where I hunt if any of y'all want to pull up the trespassers thread if you haven't read it you'll understand the need to carry a side arm. Also we have plenty of hog's and a few bears. When I walk out of the place where I found the body at I keep my bolt action rifle or bow on my shoulder and the pistol in my hand till I'm in the truck. Dealing with the meth heads out there keeps me very leary of my surrounding's while on the property.

Back
Top Bottom